Electric shock risks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AudioFreak said:
I assure you that even 30VDC can burn... I've got the scars to prove it ... yes the 2 connecting wires were very close together (2 inches at the most) and the skin was dampish but I just wish to stress that you should never underestimate the power of electricity.

Sure, it CAN burn but for most people you have to have a very specific situation for it. I, when I was 15 I should probably mention, hooked my left arm up to my PSU which gave me 50 VDC which I connected with alligator clips 2 cm from eachother (yes, it hurts a bit when the clips dig into your skin) after wetting the arm really well. I could by doing this control the muscles by adjusting the voltage and it was really hard to resist. Obviously in this case I got a burn and it took maybe 5 years before they were gone. Obviously a thing you should NOT try. Normally however I don't even feel it.

As they say: Curiosity killed the cat and burned his owner.

Same disclaimer as my previous post. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.

Most dangerous shock

The most dangerous way of getting a shock is between the two arms ( or hands). The current passes through the heart ( in between) and kills the heart muscles. Depending on the temperatuire you will live for a few minutes ( 2~3 minutes in warm climates) before you collapse and DIE. The brain lives a bit longer after the heart stops. There is supposedly no way this can be reversed. I know , I lost a very dear cousin that way. So in a high voltage situation keep one hand behind you !

i wish there were more readers

I used to repair o'scopes, and worked as a LAB RAT in Physics. I never stick two hands into any device and always double check to make sure that something isn't plugged in.

I daresay I have seen the wrong end of a high voltage circuit more than once. A rubber mat is good to stand on and relieves fatigue, a cement floor is a surprising good conductor if the humidity is high enough (some tradeoff between static and humidity.)

This rule is probably never obeyed by DIY'rs -- but you really shouldn't work on this stuff if there isn't someone else around.

Current

The current involved is relevant as well. Ever seen photos of someone with long arcs flying off the finger tips with no appearent harm? To get that effect you need thousands of volts but minusule (virtually no) current. At the other extreme, you may have read that "judicial interviews" are conducted in some parts of the world with the assistance of an auto battery, a mere 12V.

The lesson should be

to the newbie - and the one that all of us should spread when ever possible. ALL of this is dangerous. Some more so than other bits, but whenever you are working with electricity, use your head. Pay attention to the work, and only the work.

I suspect all of us can tell war stories - I learned at the knee of my Grandfather working on live main equipment who taught me as a young man "if you see me grabbing hold of a wire and not letting go, kick me as hard as you can." I have had to kick people while working live sound - the electrician had his hand in a panel with 3phase 208 with 1400amp breakers, and it did not want to let go. It was a horrible burn but he lived.

But thats war stories.. I have no doubt that in the right circumstances, the powersupply from the smallest gainclone is capable of killing you. Respect it, and you will be fine.

i never touch anything with mains in it while its pluged in, but i can tell you, 230v AC stings and burns like hell, i stuck my finger in an empty light socket when i was younger :bawling:

i was messing aroung with this mains motor (not connected) and i put it in the palm of my hand and turned it, my hand had a spasm and i dropped it, it stung too, it turned out the connectors had touched my skin and it was acting like a generator.

Skin resistance and that of your bloodstream is quite different. Resistance on your skin is about 500K to 1M ohm. Your bloodstream on the other hand is about 100ohm, a very good conductor. I read once about someone who tried to measure his "internal resistance". He stabbed his thumbs with the leads of a 9v multimeter and fell over dead.

Amusing Shock's

Hi All
I’ve Had One or two belts My Self Over years Best one I think was the tin of switch cleaner and forgetting to switch of the mixer. Hmmmmm wallop and when I was a DJ my sound engineer was repairing a speaker lead he was on this knees looking for the wire stripers in the dark room he pared the wire with you gess it this teeth he found out he cood hover in the days when the mans wire was brown and twisted together A friend of mine got his sister to touch the bare wire to see which was the live Ha Ha I liked that one
:bigeyes:

UrSv said:

Just as usual it seems the standard common mistake. The impedance is almost the ONLY thing that matters as it is what sets the current and the current is what kills or wounds. I myself am very dry-skinned (more detail than most like to have I assume) and have been grabbing, not touching but GRABBING hard, wires and things carrying 230 VAC live mains on more than one occasion. In most cases I have without too much trouble been able to remove my hand and disconnect even when the connecting parts have been left and right hand (not a good selection unless you really want to kill yourself). If I had sweaty hands or were a girl (I seem to recall that females have lower skin resistance the men from somewhere and that it is why they are more vulnerable to electric shock than men) the current would have been much higher and most likely killed me. There is as mentioned also a hugh difference between DC and AC and the effect varies greatly with frequency. 70 VDC I can not even feel and I don't even think it would be possible to get a burn as I don't even get a burn from 230 VAC just a shock. However telephone lines in Sweden carry 48 VDC at idle and that I can not feel (although there are ways of telling which are left out for SinBin pervention). However when the call signal comes in that is a 50 VAC signal or similar which is REALLY easy to notice but still gives no burn. My worst case of electricution was when I was fixing camera flashes as a teenager and unintentionally rested my arms on a discharge tube causing the flash to trigger and giving me 5000 V (no-load) pulse in my left arm. That was not a lot of fun and my heart was arythmic for about 15 minutes.

As for the common mistake from people unaquainted with Ohm's law you often hear that they "survived" an electric shock from a 115 or 230 VAC 20 A or 100 A (or whatever) line. The thing is of course that it does not matter what the maximum current is from the line you touch. If it is a 6 A or 1000 A fused 230 VAC line does not make a bit of difference. Your body impedance is so high that you will pull only a few mA (current equals voltage divided by impedance...) and get nowhere near those currents.

SinBin prevention disclaimer:
PLEASE understand and respect electricity. Always take proper precautions and handle electricity carefully and remember that it is potentially lethal. Never do what I have done and never try what I have. IT IS REALLY DANGEROUS. REALLY. I mean it.

Thank you for correct information.

Tim (I'll get to the 3rd page of replies soon)

Ok, now for two more of my cents.

Generally speaking, anything less than 70V won't hurt much (so I heard). EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT, SO THE ONLY WAY TO BE SURE IS TO TRY IT. As totally unsafe as that is, it's the ONLY way you can be sure of what YOU are capable of handling.
The best solution is avoiding it so you don't shock yourself in the first place, of course. :)

CURRENT KILLS. So what. A car battery can push more than FIVE HUNDRED AMPERES. I can put my hand across the terminals and not feel a damned thing.
This is due to one single overriding rule of electronics, applicable in nearly ALL cases: OHM'S LAW. I = V/R.

The problem, of course, being that touch resistance varies an incredible amount. As high as 1M or more for a light, dry touch; the lowest I've measured is 10k across my tounge (it tingled a little due to being an analog VOM :bigeyes: ). Resistance might drop as low as 100 ohms once the skin is punctured (arc or mechanical penetration via sharp ends), as shown by tests on raw meat.

AND BTW.
At >200kHz, skin effect is sufficient that you'll never feel it anyway. Ever seen a guy stand on a Tesla coil and display fans of arcs breaking off his hands?
Seemingly similar but not are RF burns: I have personally experienced this while working on a small VTTC. The heat from the arc (and concentration of current at the point of contact) burns the flesh. You don't actually feel anything here either (though it may hurt a bit during the healing..).

Tim

"Skin resistance and that of your bloodstream is quite different. Resistance on your skin is about 500K to 1M ohm. ......"

As a result, a precaution many don't think of is to cover any open wounds with a bandaid (sticking plaster on some continents and islands). "Open wound" includes something as minor as sraped knuckes, paper cuts or even hang nails.)

OK, lets see if I can get it right this time. What I meant to say was that the same amount of current at 1Mhz will do far less damage to your body than the same current at 60hz because of the way your body reacts to it. Notice, Ohm's law doesn't apply here because I'm not talking voltage. It is possible to pass the same amount of current through two people using different voltages but the same current at 60hz will do far more damage. Also, instead of the word impedence, I think you're looking for the word reactance. The body's resistance may be different at different frequencies, but we're talking identical amounts of current (not voltage) at different frequencies will do varying amounts of damage.

my teacher once said that minus ( - ) is the same as ground.

is this true?
otherwise where do you connect the ground if you dont have grounded sockets at home?
You dont want to get anything mixed up and produce a killing machine :goodbad:

I know a guy that got a hell of a lot of electricity through him and fell off one of those tall things you have on construction-sites.
he broke his neck.
but survived, lucky thing he fell down

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.