• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL84 Triode PP Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Poindexter said:
Audio,

Perhaps neither Stuart or I have explained completely (Stu, if I have you completely wrong, scold at will). The problem here is a regulator (voltage or current) that will reliably operate at a drop of 2v or less. Under conditions of dynamic cathode swing, maybe a lot less. What if your tail is going in and out of regulation with signal?

With the right CCS chip, maybe you could even take a bridge and supply off the heater winding (the heaters, with their several amps draw would probably never even notice), and get your chip over the problem; but the bias supply looks like the best bet to me, maybe because I'm planning to do the exact same thing.

To me, trying to regulate current over a volt or two drop looks pretty shaky.

Aloha,

Poinz

SY said:
You've got my point exactly. The cathode will have 1/2 the input signal across it, which can pop it in and out of regulation. When that happens, those chips tend to scream a bit, not to mention the rather nasty distortion on negative-going peaks.

I ended up to that, even when the off heaters - envelope was ok for the tail swing, bcs the heavy heater cap ripple was creeping through filtering and I could see +/- 100Hz sidebands on 1k signal distortion FFT.

Attachments

• screenshot7.gif
    screenshot7.gif
    40.7 KB · Views: 300
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.