• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

el84 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Thanks EC8010

kooltubes said:
Hi EC8010,

Thanks for the CSS circuit, I've just finished building the amp; it sounds good for a 5 watts'ish (PP EL84 triode connected).

It worked fine, the first time, without any hum and bang.
I had to tweak the current on the ECC99 to get a better sound; I am running the differential driver at about 21 ma pe tube, yielding to an anode voltage of approx 140 volts.

I am still learning.....oops...:eek: I haven't opened the scope box, as yet, but that my assignment for next week.
Cheers!:)

Can you post the schematic of your amp please?
:D

Cheers

Mark

Hello Mark_titano and GeirW,

I've first built the Bevoy valley amp (schematic in Morgan jones book) Ecc88 (input) Ecc88 (concertina phase inverter) + traditional PP EL84... I couldn't fit the choke on the recycled chassis, for lack of space.
I didn't like the sound and got rid of the input stage and phase inverter and replaced them with a simple differential input/driver using ECC99 biased at 21ma per tube using, a CCS, courtesy of EC8010; the schematic is somewhere in the previous pages of this thread.
The anode resistors are 14.7k (for better or worse):confused:

As it is I am still experimenting with the CSS to find the best operating point that would suit my taste.

I am a newbie like you, and still at kindergarden :D
IMHO, the differential input/driver sounds much better than the concertina; meaning it has more substance.

I cannot take any credit for the design; this amp being some other people's original ideas...but I will keep you posted!
Cheers

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
kooltubes said:
Do I need to bypass the common cathode resistor of the output stage?

That's a tricky question. If you don't, then the output stage tends to act like a differential pair and is self-balancing (only to a very limited extent because of the low value of the tail resistor). Unfortunately, when you go into Class B and one valve switches off, an unbiased shared cathode resistor causes increased distortion. If you replace the shared resistor with a CCS, the output stage only works sensibly in Class A. Typically, the first 5W of a push-pull EL84 is in Class A, and the rest is in Class B.

I'd bypass the resistor.

EL84 PP triode-connected

Hello,

I have got a biasing issue with the EL84 triode-connected in push pull
The output transformer is 9K

The data sheets do not seem to agree on the bias current for the EL84 triode-connected in push pull driven in class A.

What is the correct value? 48ma or 72 ma? Is it a shared cathode resistor?
Mullard suggest a 150R common unbypassed cathode resistor for a 10K output transformer. My transformer is 9K, how do I calculate the cathode resistor?
I am getting confused there but it's part of the fun.

For those interested in a DC coupled amp have a look at this:

http://www.wdehaan.demon.nl/el84dc.html

Cheers

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
SY said:
Optimal idle current depends on the B+ and the plate to plate load. The RCA Tube Manual gives a great explanation of how-to-do-it.

I finally found a copy of that (50 cents :)) and just read that section (and will have to read a few more times and then get out my triode connected EL84 curves)... info i've seen no-where else.

dave

Thanks Sy,
I have that book and never knew all I need was there. Now that I have learned to draw loadlines for output stage, I guess it's real fun!
Triode connected EL84, push pull; Output TX: 9K, tubes are biased @ 23 ma; I am using a shared bypassed cathode resistor.

BTW, what is the simple way to balance the voltages on the ECC99 differential input using EC8010 CCS design?
I have about 3 volts difference between the anode, since the grounded grid triode is fed from the input triode.
Cheers

I need help... :angel:
I think that I will go for one of these designs:

http://www.wdehaan.demon.nl/mono/mono/el84dc.html

http://www.artimusica.nl/wim/dc_coupled_amp.pdf

The question is...which one? The one that uses the ecc85+half ecc88 as constant current source seems pretty good, simple, provides a good stability and is easy to adjust (designer's words...).
I don't know the ecc85 at all, any feedback? Are they a good solution in a long-tailed pair driver stage?

Ouput transformers: suitable transformers are Amplimo VDV 8020, Hammond 1608, 1650f, some Sowters ecc. The schematic shows the amlimo but I'll buy an hammond 1608 because I want to spend not so much for this first attempt. The 1608 has 4-8-16 ohm taps, while the amplimo has only 5 ohm. Which tap must I use for the negative feedback with the hammond?

Power supply...with that design I'll go for dual mono amp, because seems good only for this purpose. I'm wrong? :)

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.