EL70 Floor-standing Choices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's gonna be an AudioNirvana 15", IINM? Quite different from an Eminence PA driver- we'll all be interested in your impressions, particularly in the areas that your hearing is most sensitive.

yes, that's the big question. On paper, the AN15 with large cone, whizzer and some bumps in the treble of the FR certainly set off the alarms. But no significant reports of issues from users and Bud said it was one of the best full-ranger's he'd come across (it's in the enable thread somewhere). We'll see.

Good news is that I'm finding the EL-70 cone resonance fairly benign - I was a bit surprised it had any at all since nobody has had much to say about it, but it seems to be something I notice only dead-on axis with certain FM radio stations. And I'm not convinced I don't have an issue with my Onken boxes - I used thin felt lining and I need to go back and re-do this with some better material. I may even take my 5 oaken boxes and a saw, some glue, and create a pair of floor standing onken boxes with more Vb for these EL-70s to breath.

Last edited:
This is not the first time I've seen comments that the smaller ones sounding better, just less bass, than the larger ones at the same volume. The an15's measure jaggedly (resonances, breakmodes) from below 1,000hz, you see it on the impedence plot also.

Over on fullrangedriver, hitsware "The 12" start to garble @ below the level of a 8" in the same situation" and later "The 12" garbled @ lower level than 8" BUT .... 12" has more 'extension' BUT craps out before the 8" (assuming 50Hz room gain )".

I have a buddy at work who said I'd not like the 15" full ranges. He'd grown up on them. Something about them being in breakmode far b4 a smaller driver, and also that the breakup modes are stronger as the signal goes bigger.

Just something I've been wrestling with lately.

I like toppsy's dual alp10's fonken based on dave's mal-kel10 design. But the total cone area is around 180cm2.

Norman

Last edited:
I have made some progress on building my Mar-Kel70 floor standers. The cabinets are glued and sealed now. I did some listening Sunday night and noticed a fairly big hump in the lower registers of a few songs. I need to take them out of the garage and listen in the house to make sure it wan't just a room node. Now that they are sealed could I relieve a pipe resonance by placing some stuffing behind the driver? Dave, you had recommended placing stuffing at the bottom. Besides that hump the speakers sounded great. I just have to do some trimming and finishing and they'll be complete.

Kyle

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The boxes are vented so it will be a 1/4 w/l resonance. substantially filling the bottom of the box in front of the vent partition is intended to work towards suppressing this.

The length in question is 3/4 m (so fundemental of ~115 Hz), likely changed somewhat by mass-loading

Kyle, i have the ideal stuff for this, you just load it into the driver hole and let it fall to the bottom (might need to cover the vent entrance, and might be helpful to employ the assistance of someone with small hands). Come on by and i'll give you a bag of stuff.

dave

Hi Dave, gotcha. I did put some additional ultratouch in that space, 3 layers deep total. I'll try them in my living room before I add this stuff to make sure it wasn't just my garage hitting that note. Can I swing by tonight on my way home?

I have a little iphone app that can do a frequency sweep to see if I can pin point where the rise it.

Thanks!

Kyle

I have a little iphone app that can do a frequency sweep to see if I can pin point where the rise it.

Thanks!

Kyle

will it push to an AirTunes device?

I finally got around to fiddling with Mac Mini in upstairs system last night - adding my wife's favorite internet streaming music channels ( only 28 at the moment ;)) to her iTunes library- running headless & controlled via screen share on the MBP -
damned cool how that works.

Previously AirTunes would cut out every time we ran the microwave - problem solved.

The boxes are vented so it will be a 1/4 w/l resonance. substantially filling the bottom of the box in front of the vent partition is intended to work towards suppressing this.

Ah! Sealed as in no leaks. Again though, the closed end is where you want to concentrate damping to quell pipe modes, with damping around/in the port used for fine tuning box roll off Q.

I'm surprised ya'll don't have one of these to help with such tasks: Lisle 31140 - Retriever Tool | O'Reilly Auto Parts

GM

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure, I can try later when I am home. It's called Audio Audit, currently $2.99 on the App Store.

You have to love AirPlay for getting audio around the house. Very high WAF in my household! I use a little AirportExpress, can't beat the ease of it!

Kyle

easy for sure, but a PITA when it cuts out when you're nuking some veggies, popcorn, or whatever - nothing seemed to work, hence the headless macMini - I mean a guy can't have too many computers, can he now;)

Never too many!

That's odd that it lost signal. My microwave is right in line between my router and airport express. Might want to check your microwave!

Kyle

Too late for that - it's a custom under-cabinet installation, part of a kitchen reno a couple of years ago and might well have cost as much as the Mini - which running from Toslink for now into CityPulse DAC sounds substantially better than the AEX ever did - I'm hardly disappointed.

Too late for that - it's a custom under-cabinet installation, part of a kitchen reno a couple of years ago and might well have cost as much as the Mini - which running from Toslink for now into CityPulse DAC sounds substantially better than the AEX ever did - I'm hardly disappointed.

Oh for sure. There's so much more you can do going straight from the computer. Using the remote app and triggering the iTunes on the computer is such a nice feature.

Kyle

Back to these floor standers...

I am listening to them in the living room and I think most of that loud hump has disappeared. I had the speakers quite close to the centre of the garage when I heard it so I think it must have been room rise. Dave has kindly given me some foam scraps (looks like Kermit's guts) to drop into the void between the baffle and then slot port. I think the speakers might be a little boomy. I am going to get them trimmed and put some bases on so I can bring them to DIYFest. By then the drivers should have lots of hours on them. I'll let people with better trained ears give their two cents.

Over all I am very happy with the sound!

Kyle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.