Eko Herald III Bass 50W EL34 amp problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This amp sounds fine up until the grids of the output tubes. The output is weak and distorted. What's the problem here?

Plate Voltages 412V
Screen grids 388V
The third node 363V
Bias -32V / 45mA / 19 watts
Output transformer 19:1
I tested with an 8 ohm speaker.
I replaced all the electrolytics.
I measured all the resistors.
I tested with three different sets of tubes.

What am I missing? Maybe all the tubes are bad? Maybe a resistor goes up or down with the voltage? Maybe a voltage sinks in use? A misconnection somewhere? A bad transformer?

A self drawn schematic:
Dropbox - Eko Herald III Bass power amp schematic.png

Last edited:
Yes of course Kay Pirinha! I really appreciate your help! Thank You!

I’m just trying to make sense of the situation because I’m stuck with this repair. I really don’t know how to proceed.

My previous message was more of a question than a statement. Are my calculations correct?

Last edited:
Use a 16 ohm load and measure power out, what do you get?
You will have some 5800 ohms plate to plate, not bad considering "original" Marshall JTM45 used 6600 ohms.

Tubes are reasonably flexible in load impedance, so The output is weak and distorted. makes me think of 2 possibilities:
1) those tubes are worn to death. Try a new pair.
2) that combined with This amp sounds fine up until the grids of the output tubes. makes me think of a shorted OT.

Do you have a scope?
Can you scope signal into power tube grids and speaker out?
If possible, post some screen images, even phone pictures will do.

Thanks for the help JMFahey!

I don't have a scope. I might even go and buy used one. It could take some time. I'm doing this to learn about amps and good tools are always good to have.

I think I'll go and measure the OT with the multimeter first. It's better than nothing I guess.

The amp has no HT fuse which makes OT damage a bit more probable.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.