• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EI yugoslavia gone forever.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive read through. This: Audio HiFi Forum - Audiohard.com • View topic - Ei Ni? - vesti i dogadjaji

And it seems like EI yugoslavia is no more. the machines where destroyed.

Indeed Ei yugoslavia was accuired by Western electric at one moment. However It seems that they wound up in a legal dispute over ownership of the production equipment. in the end it seems he ordered every machine scrapped..:dead:

such a shame, those Telefunken tools where really special. and could have been used to make alot of ECC83

v4lve

Between the Musicians and Audiophiles around the world who demand tubes, which grows more every day. You will be seeing tube factories re-open, and ones that are environmentally safe, maybe even in the US. After the experiences I've had with tubes over the years, I will never go back to Solid State.

Difficult to follow the story even with Google translate. Does it say that other foreign companies were interested (such as PM Components in the UK?).

Deliberately destroying some of the few remaining valve building lines seems to be both industrial and cultural vandalism.

Looking on the bright side, does this mean the few Ei valves I have will now rise in value?

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Its like anything else..

If its any good it gets trashed...
No wonder the world economy is in such a state..Its like two people arguing over the only food plant and then burning it to the ground..as the final embers burn out the question is what are we going to eat now then?

Then its your fault ..no its your fault...etc...Its all quite sad really.

Regards
M. Gregg

Greed. Plain and simple... M. Gregg has it exactly. There is less and less new design, new intelectual property coming out so the Hyenas have to come out and flex their muscles because they're too stupid to come up with anything new on their own but they want to make money on somebody's old technology... The US is full of this type of thinking and it seems to be spreading around the world more and more each day. Maybe it's a human condition... Who knows...
Unfortunately it's the consumers (us) that suffer.
Oh! And Western Electric hasn't been Western Electric since the late 1980's. It's just a bunch of wahoos capitalizing on a once great company. Actually, I think it's been a series of wahoos...
Too bad....
Enough of my rant.

Last edited:
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Happens all the time. It's called capitalism, you know that same system that's so much based on the nature of most humans: greed and not miuch else.
Obsolescense is part of it too, obviously....

Enough politics, does anyone have a timeline on EI history? Their product range (mostly TV and industry oriented I suspect).
They were a Philips subsidiary using acquired TFK machinery?

All I can say is that buying from them sure wasn't easy. With dictator Tito still installed at the time and nobody speaking English, it sure did feel like speaking to a brick wall....

Bygones....

Is Charles Whitener still in charge of the "new" WE?

Somehow I doubt that he would be the sort of person to trash a tube plant, or try to cut out other competition. Especially since there are so many Chinese copies of 300B tubes to be had today, knocking off one, a small one at that, makes little sense.

Shame though.

_-_-bear

Hi!

This is a shame!
The owner of ELROG, the last german tube manufacturer, talked about this to me.
Apparently there was some dispute over outstanding salaries of former EI workers which the government demanded to be paid before the machines can be exported. Since no agreement was reached the machines got scrapped. But I don't know if this is reliable information.

Anyways, sad news...

Best regards

Thomas

If you buy a business then this generally includes both assets and liabilities. Curiously, some capitalists think this rule should not apply to them; they just want to buy the assets at a knock-down price - seemingly unaware that the reason they are cheap is that liabilities come too. Others hope that taxpayers will pick up the liabilities, thus leaving the captains of industry to take their usual high risk approach to life: they get any profits, the rest of us compensate for any losses. I have no idea at all how relevant this is to any particular deal.

Hi!

Curiously, some capitalists think this rule should not apply to them; they just want to buy the assets at a knock-down price - seemingly unaware that the reason they are cheap is that liabilities come too.

Without knowing any background details I wouldn't accuse anybody of capitalist thinking here. I only have some snippets of information from hearsay. They way the strory was told to me was that the demand to cover liabilities came after the initial negotiations and that a huge sum was under discussion, far outweighing the value of the machinery

Best regards

Thomas

western electric won a court case (against the workers over the ownership of the machines) and could do whatever they wanted with it.

which they did - sent the machines into scrap metal.

the whole game was just that. to destroy the factory so it can't fall into the hands of the competition.

the guy behind the whole plot is charles whitaker, a current MD of WE (tubes).

it is possible their own situation as well as market conditions changed since they purchased the tooling (mid-2000s i think, maybe around 2005-6).

maybe someone else has a better view on why selling these machines per kilo for scrap metal instead of maybe finding someone who could have some use of them. a rumour is that whitaker asked 400,000 euros from the workers who were interested in buying the tools off. obviously it was too much for them. but why not offering it to someone else? why rushing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.