EE 101 - develop an intuitive approach

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They don't teach any of this stuff in engineering school. It takes experience to develop the intuitions alluded to in the article.

To me it's just common sense. Understanding things is a whole lot easier than memorising things for me. In fact, my memory is really poor. I can put my glasses down and not be able to find them 30 seconds later. I can meet you and forget your name 5 seconds later. Yet I can draw a circuit and calculate the values right out of my head. Is that nerdy?

I definitely agree with what is said there. I especially like the comments about the interaction between intuition, and an understanding of the fundamental concepts. I have met a few people who claim that they don't need to understand fundamentals because they have intuition. Their "intuition" is actually limited to a few examples, memorized in detail. They can't extend the examples, or even see deeply into them.

One point that wasn't stressed is a need to know when you have reached the limits of your intuition. Simple examples and analogies eventually break - and that's when you have to go back and re-study all that higher-level stuff in detail.

Dale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.