• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Edcor Wrong Transformer...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently bought the XPWR233-100 from Edcor, and asked to change the mains voltage design from default 100V to 120V. They agreed to do this free of charge. So I receive the transformer and begin to build my amp.

When testing the secondary voltages, they were ALL way too high! The 6.3V winding was at 7.7V loaded, and the b+ was at 610V before the 5AR4 and 550V after rectification. Is this just me or is this way too high?

Something tells me they just packaged a 100V model and sent that one to me. I measured the mains voltage in my house and it was a solid 120.1V.

I recently bought the XPWR233-100 from Edcor, and asked to change the mains voltage design from default 100V to 120V. They agreed to do this free of charge. So I receive the transformer and begin to build my amp.

When testing the secondary voltages, they were ALL way too high! The 6.3V winding was at 7.7V loaded, and the b+ was at 610V before the 5AR4 and 550V after rectification. Is this just me or is this way too high?

Something tells me they just packaged a 100V model and sent that one to me. I measured the mains voltage in my house and it was a solid 120.1V.

Have you loaded the transformer? If your secondaries are unloaded (nothing after rectifier), voltage will be higher for sure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.