• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Edcor transformers TubeLab SPP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello again

Looking for some insight from the experienced builders.

I'm building a TubeLab SPP and looking at the Edcor XPWR178 for my PT and Edcor CXPP-MS-25-8K for the OT's not looking to go super cheap however don't want the build to hit the $1,000.00 mark. Any better USA built transformers that I should consider? The reason for the XPWR178 is I live in Japan now 100VAC/50C and looking to move to the UK next 240VAC/50C. Thoughts? Inputs?

TIA

G3

Magnequest, Electra-print, O-netics, Heyboer and others. All made in the USA that measure and sound better than anything CURRENTLY made in Japan for export.
I'm in Canada so it's not national bias.
I also like Edcor, good value and if you can design a circuit properly, good sound. Not necessarily a drop in replacement for anything you get from a dumpster.

Magnequest, Electra-print, O-netics, Heyboer and others. All made in the USA that measure and sound better than anything CURRENTLY made in Japan for export.
I'm in Canada so it's not national bias.
I also like Edcor, good value and if you can design a circuit properly, good sound. Not necessarily a drop in replacement for anything you get from a dumpster.

Thank you for some leads, I'll take a look at these.

I bought some 15 watt Edcor for a SE amp and the price was great and the build quality was excellent. They custom make their trannies so, you need to allow 3 weeks after you order them. The new owner of the amp loves the sound and he has no complaints at all. cheers, 808

Edcor o/ps are crap.......No, they are good transformers. If you want a bit better specs you have to pay much more.

Edcor makes the best transformer for the price. They will easily beat a similarly specced Hammond that costs 1.5 to 2 X the money.

Edcor and Transcendar make good budget transformers, but shipping to Japan will be expensive.

I have used both and would prefer Transcendar for a similarly sized OPT, but it will cost a bit more than the Edcor. As mentioned the Electra Prints are better, but would cost more than either. I have never tried James, they are hard to get here, but SSE and TSE builders worldwide seem to like them. Don't know about the push pull OPT's though.

Shipping to Japan is not a big deal in this case. He might live in Japan, but he has a US Zip code.....

Transcendar transformers are great sounding transformers. I have a set in a pp 6v6 amp and have absolutely no complaints. You get them faster (at least here) than Edcor. The last Edcor order that I placed took 8 weeks for delivery. Transcendar took 1.5 weeks from order to doorstep.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.