• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ecl82 or ecl86 amplifier decision

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I am thinking of making a 5-1 tube amplifier for my room. Since 5 channels must be used this is 5x the cost so I have chosen a simple design (a better suggestion??)

I have found these two litle integrated amplifiers and I would like to have some suggestions of which one to use, based on sound quality and volume factors
Thank you

Attachments

• ecl82.gif
    ecl82.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,196
  • ecl86.jpg
    ecl86.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,166
Availability considerations force you to use the 6BM8/ECL82, as Russian production is in the market place.

A PSU using an unsymmetrical 1/2 wave rectifier is a BAD idea, as "standing" DC is present on the rectifier winding.

Check this thread out. A Triad N-77U in the B+ supply is good for approx. 225 mA. That might be enough for 5X channels. The N-77U has dual primaries and works in both "120" and "240" VAC zones.

Go for the beefier ECL86. The pentode can be looked upon as a EL84 with 9W instead of 12W Pa and the triode is one half 12AX7. It sounds great and is available NOS. Probably the P will be cheaper.

If the driver feels wimpy you can always add a DC-connected MOSFET-follower between triode and pentode.

But why not go PP? Easier to get hum free and better performance by adding just one tube.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.