• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ECC88 vs 6SN7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have built all ECC88 Aikido preamp. Ithought aobut changing first tube to 6SN7. Is it worthy? What differences in sound should I expect? I am lacking a bit of hard bass, but it is not the main reason I want to try 6SN7, Iam just curious, becauseI have heard octal tubes sound bigger than any other novals.

Thank you.

kacernator said:
I have built all ECC88 Aikido preamp. Ithought aobut changing first tube to 6SN7. Is it worthy? What differences in sound should I expect?

That won't work. The characteristics of these types are very different, especially in that the ECC88 likes Vpk's that are a good deal lower than what you normally see with the whole 6SN7/6FQ7/6CG7 family.

So you can expect that it'll sound really bad unless you completely redesign, in which case, you'd get better results by making another one based on 6SN7s from the get-go.

I am lacking a bit of hard bass, but it is not the main reason I want to try 6SN7, Iam just curious, becauseI have heard octal tubes sound bigger than any other novals.

Well, of course octal tubes sound bigger. They are bigger! Makes for better echos for that booming bass!

But seriously, that sounds more like audiophoolery than anything else. A lot of the noval types are based on earlier octal implementations. 6SN7 --> 6FQ7/6CG7 (Main difference: 6CG7 has a shield between triodes that the 6FQ7 and 6SN7 don't include) 6V6 --> 6AQ5 and so on.

kacernator

You can easily get tubes from around the world, but maybe you are not with happy internet shopping?

A few weeks ago I sent you a PM stating where to buy good tubes at really fair prices in Germany. I bought my 6H30 tubes there. Kind people, fair prices and fast shipping.

Karsten

@ kacernator

As far as I am informed, the 6N6P is directly replacable with 6H30 without any modifications. At least, that was the reason I bought them.

I am building the Aikido with the 6H30 (output) and would like to hear the 6N6P as well without too much struggle with the Aikido circuits (I bought the mono-boards from Broskie).

Karsten

In the Aikido tube table there is no values for 5687.

Looking at the 6N6P datasheet, at which current should I run them?
Pa max for each anode is 4.8W. With my B+ 300V (150V on anodes then), what is the best operating point? 70 percent of Pa max? If so, that would be roughly 80 mA of current for four triodes. Thats high enough for my current PT.

Perhaps, I shall tell more. 6N6p is much worse 5687! From the Soviet tubes of very few types application in audio deserve. The rest does not suit anywhere, except for complexes C-300))
By the way, modern 6N30P it is very close to 6N6P. It at all is not pleasant to me. But old, Soviet time 6N30P-DR it is a unique tube on a sound! At it the smallest distortions from all tubes! It sounds superb! There Is older Soviet tube 6N12C is also exception, very noble sound!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.