• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ECC86 / 6GM8 Radio Receiver Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone

Not strictly Hi-Fi, but I have been reading a fascinating article in Elektor's 307 Circuits, for 1 valve radio receiver which uses double-triode valve, that can happily operate with an anode voltage as low as 6V DC !

The beast I'm interested in, is the ECC86 (6GM8) - I've been trying to build the top circuit shown in the link below, with an ECC85 and also the ECC81. Although these will work to a small degree, the HT has to be cranked up considerably, to be able to acheive a decent output using just the 1 valve.

Einkreis-Empfänger mit der ECC 86

I've been trying to find an ECC86 or 6GM8 'mortage free' - the one's available on eBay, are way out of my league, as they are NEW NOS valves.

Any help would be really appreciated - perhaps someone has a S/H one ?

Many thanks, Richard :)

I paid $5 each for 4 Bugle Boy versions about 2 years ago. NOS, not used. I didn't think they were that rare. There is a 12v version of the Aikido that Broskie is selling that may be creating demand for them, but I can't imagine it created that much demand that you pay a premium for them.

I paid $5 each for 4 Bugle Boy versions about 2 years ago. NOS, not used. I didn't think they were that rare. There is a 12v version of the Aikido that Broskie is selling that may be creating demand for them, but I can't imagine it created that much demand that you pay a premium for them.

Well, it did. Perhaps not his circuit per se but idjits who are into tubes just for sake of being "cool" are grabbing them (and their Soviet equivalents) left and right at outrageous prices, driving the price up. Since stocks are limited and there is no ongoing production, demand will keep driving prices even higher.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.