ebay SPDIF dac "CS8416 + CS4398" only $25 - worth a try?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
monitoring this thread, even though its a bit old ;)

I've been buying lots of those dacs (from amazon) and having great sounding results from them; but I have not done an audio numbers test at all. perhaps I'll try to run thru an AP or rmaa, and also try some of the mods.

from casual listening, though, its not really bad sounding. and the 4398 chip does not have issues with 'gibbs overflow' like so many others. as a signal nears 0db and stays near there, you can get math errors that cause really bad sounding (ie, even inversions of the wave!) effects. the cheaper ESS dacs don't impress me in the least and I avoid them like the plague.

I bought a cheap CS8416/CS4398 board recently, a Cirmech WM-013. CIRMECH Optical coaxial audio decoder CS8416 CS4398 chip 24BIT192KHz SPDIF coaxial Optical fiber DAC decode board For amplifier -in Digital-to-Analog Converter from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I'm quite impressed with it for 11 pounds. Anyone else tried one? It certainly beats my other experiments with bargain basement DACs. One of those CS4344 USB boxes was very nicely made for the money but distorted on full SPDIF level. A Yuan Jing TDA1543 board sounded like it was under a pillow.

HTB1iXYPajzuK1RjSspeq6ziHVXaL.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I bought one and separately the small 2x12VAC transformer kit. It's nice. Compared it with a Marantz CD player using the optical out and switching between the onboard DAC (same chip) with a more transistor based line out and this one. I hear no difference. Only thing left is a nicer case. It is in a little 89 cent wooden box. The powersupply is in a proper plastic case suitable for 230V.

Also got a 4x optical switch box with remote to choose between PC and raspberry pi.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.