DYI to Commercial Speaker "Upgrade"; or, What's my Labor Worth?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Actually, this Madisound is the one I'm considering, and is doable logistically. One can sit right in place of my current speaker. The question is whether there is enough improvement potential on my current setup. Or might this one also be too much bass?

Again, though, it's all about that holistic realism, if that conveys anything substantive ;-)

Joe

These types of drivers are designed specifically for horn loading. This is where they will give of their best. On their own they have a rising frequency response - the horn loading compensates for this to achieve a flat and natural response. The bass response is simply brought up to a level which matches the rest of the frequency range. The bass reflex box does not bring out the full potential of this type of driver. Best try, if possible, to listen to horn loaded speakers before parting with your cash on the Madison kits!

Joe - I’d misunderstood your earlier reference - i.e. I thought you were still thinking of the 126. The FE103 is a delightful little driver, and if space is at a premium and you’re looking for a simple pre-fab kit, either of the P1000s would be a safe bet - just don’t try to shoehorn the 126s into the smaller BH .
At the risk of over simplification, the primary function of a BLH enclosure is to provide some measure of gain in the lower frequencies of drivers with rising response such as the 126 (and others). For optimal results, these enclosures need to take the drivers T/S parameters into consideration, and cannot be miniaturized without severely compromised results. So, to repeat, having had some experience with the 126, I’d opine that the BK12 would be the minimum recommended enclosure of those in which I’ve heard it.

But, never resisting the temptation to further obfuscate things, I actually prefer the FW105WK, and at approx $160/pr, the P1000E would be on my short list.

Last edited:
Yep. Just to recap, current set-up is Mullard 3-watt tube mono amp with the fe126 in a bass reflex box w/port tube per specs (pic of all attached). I also have another 126 driver and port tube I've literally been sitting on for a couple of years. However, now that I'm rebuilding a vintage tube stereo amp, I thought I would re-visit my speaker options. At the time, the bass reflex/126 just seemed like the cheapest way to the 93db I'd need for the 3-watt and I didn't really shop. It was more about trying out tube hi-fi on the cheap. Earlier discussion led me away from $400-$500 commercial multi-ways and back to full-range kits albeit with more robust cabinets than the bass reflex I have now. At $229 I'm starting to think that P1000-BH might be worth checking out with the 105s. Seems like even if the driver is a half inch or so smaller, those horn loaded cabs could throw better sound out of them than the bass reflex box does the 126. Is that a fair possibility?

Attachments

• 3_3amp&speaker.jpg
    3_3amp&speaker.jpg
    560.6 KB · Views: 101
Seems like even if the driver is a half inch or so smaller, those horn loaded cabs could throw better sound out of them than the bass reflex box does the 126. Is that a fair possibility?
Highly probable more like! If you are happy with the sound of your present reflex loaded 126, I predict you will be ecstatic with that of the horn loaded 103!

However, to be certain they suit your requirements, you should audition a rear loaded horn speaker before committing yourself to purchasing one. They don't suit all tastes and have a niche following.

They do tick your boxes in relation to high sensitivity and 'holistic realism' of sound, and in addition will provide a natural and extended bass response.

There are several of us here that are always willing to chime in about the new full range Tang Bands - w4, w5, w6, I have purchased all three and really enjoy what they can do. Here is a W5-2143 in a simple box. Parts Express carries em.

Attachments

• new 003.jpg
    new 003.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 83
Just want to say a quick thank to all who chimed in. I actually called Madisound, which is located very close to my parents and less than a couple of hours from me. Based on their thoughts and reviewing the great feedback here, I think the BK12 horn loaded kit with my current drivers would indeed be the best, most discernible upgrade if I'm going to do anything. Better still that I could go get it right from their warehouse. If I can figure out the logistics w/in my apartment, that's what I'll do.

Thanks again!

Joe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.