DVI video cable using CAT5 wire?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DVI cables and their cousins HDMI, are basically 4 pairs of twisted pair plus another 4 or 5 wires for signals.

Each twisted pairs is supposed to be shielded, but I have never slit open a cheap 6 foot cable to confirm this.

Each pair usually operates under 500 mhz.

I know that the short length commercial cables use 28 guage wire in the pairs and the longer ones (35 to 50 feet) use 22 guage. I imagine cat5 or cat6 is closer to 28 guage, but I could be wrong about that.

So in order to make a DVI cable of length between 50 and 100 feet, could a pair cat5 or cat6 cables be soldered to a male and female DVI connector to make this low cost extension cord?

HDMI/DVI adaptors could be added to make the equivalent of a HDMI to HDMI cable, because DVI connectors are easy to solder, but HDMI connectors aren't.

UPDATE: I forgot that DVI is 100 ohm balanced twisted pair which may or may not be identical to the impedance of cat 5.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.