Dunlap Clarke Dreadnaught 1000 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This might be repetitious but

"The Dreadnaught 1000 has a rated output of 250 watts per channel into 8 ohms and 500 watts into 4 ohms, and in tests Ron says it has delivered 850 watts per channel into a 2-ohm load. The key to this is that the amplifier can deliver peak currents of 28 amperes to the load, nearly twice that of a Phase Linear 700."

This is from a Boston audio soc article

http://www.bostonaudiosociety.org/pdf/bass/BASS-03-09-7506b.pdf

I purchased some of the power transformer for their 250 and 350 watt per channel amps from American Magnetics Transformers in a little town called Carterville IL many years ago as they where going out of business, DC that is....not sure of the name. The same company made transformers for Audio Research.....The transformers were battle ship anchors in the weight department. I just checked they are Still in BUSINESS.... AMT

Last edited:
Hello Krisfr ,

I had a Dunlap Clarke Dreadnaught amplifier back in the 70's ..77-79 to be exact . A well Built , attractive looking amplifier that came highly rated as the "one" to have at the time .

I can honestly tell you it was not stable at 2 ohms nor on electrostatic speakers, I do recall it being bettered by a newly acquired Dynaco 416 with c100 storage supply and a Pr of MC3500's at the time. On it's second failure, it was repaired and passed on.

regards,

I have schematics for this amp which were hand-drawn by me several years ago now. I had one in for repair and having no info on it I had little choice but to trace out the design.
Unfortunately I don't have a working scanner at the moment so I can't do much with them.
I may try photographing the drawings and posting them if it works out ok.
They are VERY untidy and in no "standard" kind of layout due to me drawing it as I worked it out :eek:
It would be nice if someone was bored enough to re-draw it so it makes more sense!
I thought the amp sounded quite reasonable but not fantastic...
It blew up again about a year after I had repaired it and upgraded caps etc, and the owner of it donated it tome for spare parts! I stripped it down and still have most of the innards.... The case was binned.
It has the biggest mains transformer I have ever seen in an amplifier to this day!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I had a Dunlap Clarke Dreadnaught amplifier back in the 70's ..77-79 to be exact . A well Built , attractive looking amplifier that came highly rated as the "one" to have at the time .

I can honestly tell you it was not stable at 2 ohms nor on electrostatic speakers,

We had at least one pass thru the shop in the late 70s. It didn't do as well as the NAIM 250 at driving the Dayton Wrights, but was a nice amplifier on most everything else.

dave

I have schematics for this amp which were hand-drawn by me several years ago now. I had one in for repair and having no info on it I had little choice but to trace out the design.
Unfortunately I don't have a working scanner at the moment so I can't do much with them.
I may try photographing the drawings and posting them if it works out ok.
They are VERY untidy and in no "standard" kind of layout due to me drawing it as I worked it out :eek:
It would be nice if someone was bored enough to re-draw it so it makes more sense!
I thought the amp sounded quite reasonable but not fantastic...
It blew up again about a year after I had repaired it and upgraded caps etc, and the owner of it donated it tome for spare parts! I stripped it down and still have most of the innards.... The case was binned.
It has the biggest mains transformer I have ever seen in an amplifier to this day!

Did you ever get around to scanning the schematic? Thanks, I WILL do a redraw if you did....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.