Dual subwoofer/media console

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some work has been done today:
1. Larger holes + new dust filter.
2. Simulation of flow with larger holes.
3. I removed some of the stone wool damping.

1. Larger holes + new dust filter.
UpSclYdl.jpg

All outlet holes are now connected to form slots (still angled though). Added two more holes as well to make the slot longer.

DSy0Nd3l.jpg

Added another row of inlet holes (half as many) and connected them using a sabre saw.

2. Simulation of flow with larger holes.
The flow is more than doubled to 27 m^3/h which corresponds to an air temperature at the outlet of 36 C at idle (100 W) and 69 C at full load (300 W). Acceptable I hope... Otherwise I'll get other fans :) I have no heat losses in the model except airflow and some heat will be lost by conduction/convection through the wood, which will help.

3. I removed some of the stone wool damping.
Instead of solidly packing the entire compartment I have now only lined the walls:
O7MDIwnl.jpg

Top and bottom is only lined in the back compartment to reduce restriction of airflow.
AAxKZqJl.jpg

All panels are adhered to the walls by silicone for two reasons:
1. So they won't fall down.
2. Maybe the will add a little losses and thereby reduce panel vibrations.
IrU8IDJl.jpg

The cables have been connected.

Tomorrow I will hopefully add the internal stiffening beams and then join everything together (thereby closing the subwoofer compartments).

/Anton

Edit: Oh, and I moved inside. Mainly because it was getting a bit crammed in the in the storage room, but also to make sure that the wood reaches correct temperature and moisture content before joining the different pieces together. It's however not very popular with the boss...

Last edited:
Stiffening beams added. Main purpose is to make sure that the sheets don't sag, I want it to look straight.

0cGEYGzl.jpg

I see why the boss wants me done ASAP...

qaDjjZ9l.jpg

Front beam is 27 mm thick oak, 57 mm high. Should be stiff enough.

YCEKqYdl.jpg

Rear beam is only 19 mm thick fir, 30 mm high. Main purpose is to serve as an edge to attach the backside of the electronics enclosure. The space between the fir and the MDF will be used to route cables.

Not very interesting updates (sorry). They'll hopefully get better soon :)

/Anton

Glued!

The bottom oak sheet's been glued to the rest:
aWWPnicl.jpg

JIuPhBUl.jpg

As you can see it looks a lot more brown than grey due to difference in light temperature (outside vs inside). The camera slightly exaggerates the red though, it was hard finding a white balance setting that captured it correctly.

Next step: routing the holes for 2 x Seas L26ROY.

/Anton

Holes routed

Now I've routed the holes for the drivers.

7ukbO3Ul.jpg

j30KrC9l.jpg

CiReTlEl.jpg

Sorry for crappy phone pic.

I'm not sure how to chamfer the inside of the hole yet. Maybe it's easiest to just do it with a tilted sabre saw, the precision is not very important on the inside :)

/Anton

Eigenfrequency analysis

I thought you might like this kind of dorkery...

To make sure that the panel vibrations of the subwoofer enclosures doesn't cause vibrations in the electronics compartment I did an eigenfrequency analysis.

First eigenfrequency:
0eArh6s.gif

Second:
oRgRUmv.gif

Third:
jmVFaKK.gif

Fourth:
ALRMUFs.gif

Fifth:
Q838OhY.gif

Sixth:
OsdmKPd.gif

Eleventh:
HiCD4Lz.gif

Seventeenth:
29JAxuO.gif

The first one that has clear bending of MDF-walls. They do however move together (same direction) which is not what happens when the over/under pressure flexes the walls.

Tjugonde:
78XJN26.gif

First mode that has bending of MDF and that it is reasonable to believe that it is caused by a pressure load.

Conclusion: Vibrations that are due to pressure in the MDF compartment and might spread to the rest of the media console have frequencies above 800 Hz. The intended use is below 200 Hz -> ok.

/Anton

Measurements done with UMIK-1:
8wyOkNo.jpg

Near field (~15 cm) measurement of right speaker.

HaktmSzl.png

Comparison of left vs. right speaker. Left speaker is close to two boundaries (walls) which I assume is the reason for the difference in response.

UaiZM4Wl.png

Background noise in sofa.

b5aarZml.png

The three seats in the sofa and in the chair with right speaker playing.

/Anton

Today I installed "hinges" for the control panel hatch. The control panel is only mounted for show so far, only power switch for PC is connected.

It's all black imitation leather.

/Anton

Attachments

• IMAG0440.jpg
    IMAG0440.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 126
  • IMAG0438.jpg
    IMAG0438.jpg
    782.4 KB · Views: 118
I'm curious; do the subs make any of the equipment on, or the candles/flowers etc on top, rattle? Or is it not a problem?

I'm considering a similar concept, but I'm worried about the subs making the piece of furniture useless for other things like storage etc...
Hi!

Sorry I didn't respond sooner... I didn't know as I had no amplifier with enough oumph. Today I finished a 2 x 300 W IRS2092 (L15D-PS):
531853d1455743695-dual-subwoofer-media-console-img_20160217_210959.jpg

The wooden box contains a 600 VA 40+40 V toroidal transformer, first time I'm making an amp using that. It's making a slight humming noise, is that something that needs to be adressed? I probably won't hear it when it's in the media console.

Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow to make some measurements at decent levels.

/Anton

Attachments

• IMG_20160217_210959.jpg
    IMG_20160217_210959.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 198
Measurements at high level

Finally some measurements that really say something! I've measured the right subwoofer at 1 m distance, with mic close to floor.

First I tested the vibrations, directly I had to move a sheet metal candle holder down as it was rattling. I put it on the floor 50 cm away but that didn't change anything (still rattling). So I moved it to another room. Now without things on the console I can't feel anything at 85 dB/1 m. At 95 dB/1 m it starts to get noticeable, but not more than the wall behind (there is a 2 cm gap between console and wall). This means that the vibrations might as well be caused by outside air pressure. There is however some point around 250 Hz where the nanoavr and the center channel starts to rattle slightly. I'm not going to use it that high though.

There is some serious rattle coming from a china cabinet 2 m away from the subwoofer and also from a sideboard (containing more china) 4 m away. They have discreet obvious audible peaks between 60 and 90 Hz and might be the reason for the broad hump in distortion in all measurements around those frequencies.

1 m, on axis 95 dB
No EQ, LT or LP:
531974d1455798348-dual-subwoofer-media-console-95-db-raw.jpg

With LT and LP (130 Hz BW24):
531976d1455798348-dual-subwoofer-media-console-95-db-lt-lp-phase.jpg

Distortion:
531975d1455798348-dual-subwoofer-media-console-95-db-lt-lp.jpg

Normalized:
531977d1455798348-dual-subwoofer-media-console-95-db-lt-lp-normalized.jpg

Below 5 % distortion for all frequencies should be considered decent. How about at 100 dB?

1 m, on axis 100 dB
With LP:
531978d1455798348-dual-subwoofer-media-console-100-db-lp.jpg

Still below 5 %.

With LP and LT:
531979d1455798348-dual-subwoofer-media-console-100-db-lt-lp.jpg

It looks like I've found the limit for this setup. 100 dB/1 m without LT and 95 dB/1 m with. This is for one subwoofer and I have a total of 3 (2 in console and one behind couch).

This is the background noise level in measuring position:
531981d1455798348-dual-subwoofer-media-console-noise.jpg

And this is what the near field (20 cm) measurement looks like with LT and LP:
531980d1455798348-dual-subwoofer-media-console-nf.jpg

This type of measuring is exhausting, above 90 dB is loud! Next time I'm wearing ear protection.

/Anton

Attachments

• noise.jpg
    noise.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 179
  • NF.jpg
    NF.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 100 dB LT+LP.jpg
    100 dB LT+LP.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 100 dB LP.jpg
    100 dB LP.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 181
  • 95 dB LT+LP normalized.jpg
    95 dB LT+LP normalized.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 173
  • 95 dB LT+LP phase.jpg
    95 dB LT+LP phase.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 176
  • 95 dB LT+LP.jpg
    95 dB LT+LP.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 95 dB raw.jpg
    95 dB raw.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.