Dual power source boombox

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dual power source boombox (disregard, wired it and it works)

hello guys, this is my 2nd post but still finishing out the first project I'm on.
I'm almost done with my boombox but am still working through the wiring.
I have a 12v psu and a 12v 9ah battery.

the box shares the negative side of wiring for everything inside and the positive side of both power sources go into an on/off/on (SPDT) switch.
To retain the memory on the car cd player, I will connect this to the battery so it will be fine.

My question now though is, will there be any issue when I switch the box to pull power from the PSU being that the memory wire is connected to the battery still, but the other 12+ wires into the stereo will be taking power from the PSU?

I'd hate to short it out due to this oversight..
I'm wondering if it will be fine as the 12v memory wire is sort of it's' own circuit within the CD player? however . . I don't know for sure so I could use some help.. I'm hoping to finish wiring it tonight if possible.. however if I don't have an answer by then, I'll most likely just run it off battery for the time being and charge the battery with a tender as I planned to do anyway.. I'll just not use the PSU side of things yet.

Thanks and sorry for the run on, I'm just about to head out for the day but wanted to get this out before I didn't have to time to post it.

13329626_10154317387058606_916528699_n_zpsxn4754vv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

13330449_10154317387278606_2002339604_n_zpsjvgmpzs7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Okay look, there is a very large body of experience of portable boomboxes out there, and using a car head unit is pretty much universally accepted as silly because they waste a lot of energy, they suck 500mA without even playing a sound, put 500mA in one of these new class-d amps you'll blow people's head off (not using car door speakers).
To answer your question, yeah will probably be fine. If it isn't and you blow your cd player then it would be a blessing in disguise.

Okay look, there is a very large body of experience of portable boomboxes out there, and using a car head unit is pretty much universally accepted as silly because they waste a lot of energy,

To answer your question, yeah will probably be fine. If it isn't and you blow your cd player then it would be a blessing in disguise.

Well, thanks..... I think. Do I need you apologize for not being up to your standards with the most current technology? I think not. I built it with what I had and what I bought can be used to upgrade or change to something else later. the fact you posted just to insult me and the not even give me an actual answer ("probably" isn't an answer, I already knew probably though), then follow up with your last dig on my choice of audio player. with your attitude and idea of "help", I could care less what you know, as you're not the type of personality I care to take advice from. thanks for putting your real self out there though for future reference.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.