Dual Mono DAC AK4490/AK4497

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's my take on the AK4490 - only 2 days old and already sounds very good :)
It's a full DIYINHK setup with LT3042 regs, all the basic mods that were discussed. I used all the FR caps that came with the kit except for +-12v supply where I put 330uf Jamicons I had lying around (the second one is on the bottom because it's too fat).
I plan to upgrade the caps to Silmic II for analog and maybe oscons for digital, and the opamp to AD4898, but also to improve the layout, shorten the wiring etc.
Would adding another small 6v transformer for the digital supply only make sense? For now the two 9v from the first transformer are connected to 3.3v digital and 3.3v analog, the 2x 9v from the second are connected to 7v analog left and right, and 2x 15v to +-12v.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I've had a few enquiries about how I purchased my Yanasoft dual AK4497 board.

Mine was purchased on my behalf by a friend in Japan but it would be unfair to keep asking him for favours so I thought I would try out one of the Japanese proxy shopping web sites, in my case this one;

FROM JAPAN: Japanese auction and shopping proxy service

To try it out I ordered;

• The LCD screen listed in the BOM for my AK4497 (from a Japanese parts supplier)
  • DSD Principle PCBs from Yanasoft

I can report that my purchases have been successful and I have just paid the shipping fee for the items to be delivered.

The obvious downside is that you'll pay a premium for items purchased this way because of the fees, but the site was easy to use and communication was very good, guiding you through each step of the process.

To purchase items you simply paste the URL of the item you want into the site and, once the site has worked its magic, you confirm the item is correct and add it to your basket.

Payment is in two stages, first for the goods themselves then, once everything is ready to ship out, a second payment to cover the fees and delivery. There are options for the fees, insurance, shipping.

Anyway, if you're interested in the Yanasoft boards it looks like this is the way to purchase them. The Yanasoft website offers some interesting projects, apart from the dual AK4497 there are dual AK4490 and AK4495 and a nice single AK4490 board. Here's the Yanasoft website, which Google Translate does a reasonable job on, certainly good enough to understand the information on the projects;

?????

Do note though that Yanasan only does short runs of the boards so you may have to wait for an item to be 'under distribution'.

Ray

automatic DSD\PCM selection

another Japanese site with audio kits including dual AK4497 and ES9038PRO over here

The boards there has a separated PCM and DSD inputs. As well they doesn't automatically switch between PCM and DSD, need manual selecting.
It's possible to use their SRC front end, but reclocking everything to a fixed frequency or DSD isn't a good solution at all.

Any suggestions?

The AK4490/4497 do not support automatic switching between PCM and DSD. You have to know what kind of signal you will be converting and use a uC to set up the DAC accordingly.

As I recall, I'm not sure that is quite right. I think the AKs will auto-switch between incoming PCM and DSD in 'normal mode' but if you want to use the 'Direct DSD' mode you need to select it via the menu and that turns off the features of normal mode, such as the auto-detect, volume control etc.

Ray

Joined 2015
Paid Member
As I recall, I'm not sure that is quite right. I think the AKs will auto-switch between incoming PCM and DSD in 'normal mode' but if you want to use the 'Direct DSD' mode you need to select it via the menu and that turns off the features of normal mode, such as the auto-detect, volume control etc.

According to 4497 datasaheet, DSD is not available in parallel mode (hardware setup) as for AK4495. In serial mode (software setup) DSD/PCM switching require a change on a internal register and a soft reset (another internal register).
So the uC which is steering the DAC needs to know weither the stream is DSD or PCM, and this information is not provided by the AKM DAC chips. For example this information is available on USB adapter Amanero connector pin 7 or JLSound I2S2USB pin 8.

According to 4497 datasaheet, DSD is not available in parallel mode (hardware setup) as for AK4495. In serial mode (software setup) DSD/PCM switching require a change on a internal register and a soft reset (another internal register).
So the uC which is steering the DAC needs to know weither the stream is DSD or PCM, and this information is not provided by the AKM DAC chips. For example this information is available on USB adapter Amanero connector pin 7 or JLSound I2S2USB pin 8.

That explains my recollection, I was using a JLSounds I2SoverUSB and their AK4490 DAC. Thanks

Ray

I'm pretty sure that (at least the 4490 that I'm playing around with) it does not, Ray.

In parallel mode (a.k.a. with no uC) they do not support DSD at all. In serial mode (I2C or SPI control) they do support DSD but you have to change a register in the chip. Otherwise DSD produces garbled audio. It doesn't matter if you choose normal mode or Direct DSD (but if I remember correctly, if you have selected Direct DSD but have set the DAC in PCM mode and sent it PCM, it outputs garbage).

It would be nice if I was mistaken, though.

If you have any ideas I would be happy to try them out on my test rig.

EDIT: Damn I'm a slow typer today..

Joined 2015
Paid Member
Is there *any* chip that can auto-switch between PCM and DSD? I am pretty sure that there isn't, but would welcome a correction!

As far as I know, PCM and DSD are raw data stream, they're mainly aimed to be D/A converted or digitally filtered. Raw data means that they're only what is called the 'payload'. There's no framing, preamble wich usually contains the information describing the nature of the payload. So the DAC has no practical way to decide weither it is PCM or DSD (or anything else...). This is why DSD/PCM detection is made at previous stage where the framing informations are available: at the USB level or within the DSP, etc...

I found nothing in the AK4497 datasheet about a output that tells you if you have a PCM or DSD digital input.

I really don't know how you can switch from one mode to another if don't have this information.

broken.png

As showed above, you have separate inputs for DSD mode when DSDPATH=0 : DSDL, DSDR and DCLK.

You have also to setup the DSDPATH to 1 for identical inputs.

You're right, choucroutemelba.

That's why I'm asking for solution detected PCM/DSD before DAC and provide this information to uC or other "unit" which can switch DAC mode accordingly.
Without lame USB adapter, of course)

why not?

I hadn't noticed that the 4497 had separate pins for PCM and DSD.

That is very annoying.

Most (if not all) USB interfaces have a single combined I2S/DSD output. That will have to be split in two, and possibly buffered.

Most if not all USB receivers provide a "DSD signal" pin.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.