Dual drivers in 1 horn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maybe I'm not interpreting this correctly, or it doesn't apply in the audible range (keep in mind I'm really new at this), but if the two FR drivers mounted on the same baffle were wired out of phase with each other, would that reduce or eliminate comb effect? Aside from bass loss in the out of phase driver, what other problems could occur and would they outweigh any sensitivity benefit? Thanks,
Tony

That makes sense Ron.

I guess this is how the "sweet spot" can be so hard to find with some speakers and yet easier with others. That is one of those things that has driven me nuts with sound rooms over the years.

I think the question of putting the two drivers out of phase is a different animal as you would be looking at 180 degree shift. A few degrees can be compensated by change in frequency and distance, axis to driver, but 180 degrees has a whole different set of criteria.

Interesting thread. (read: getting way over my head)

Robert

A few degrees can be compensated by change in frequency and distance,

Yes!!! (ya got it!!) But somewhere you lose. On the ganged array i lost around 12 Db, it would not be this severe with much lower audio frequencies.

At 180 degrees out of phase there would be near total cancellation.

(Read the new sound cancellation earphones, a mic an inverted op amp(180 degrees to the incoming signal) and a earphone speaker and there you are)

ron

Are humans not fooling themselves in thinking an absolute and final understanding of "physics" / "nature" / "the universe" (whatever term you select), has already or will ever be achieved?

In the early 1900s there was talk of closing down the patent offices as it was believed that all that could be invented already had been.

ron

("the hardest thing you can do is to make something simple", Quote from my friend,mentor,prof and the guy that made me think)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.