Dual 12" Subwoofer Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I find I now need to make some further changes to the enclosure design to fit into the living room. I'm adding a Middle Atlantic Slim 5 rack to hold my gear and the sub amp, so that will take up a fair bit of space too.

Looking at replacing my Jamo D6 THX Ultra speakers with some new Klipsch THX Ultra II models so am looking at modelling the new sub on their offering, cosmetics wise.

Still sticking to the same volume and ported spec.

New cabinet design, based on Klipsch KW-120-THX (aesthetics) and the BK Monolith (specs.).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

All the corners will have a 10mm round-over, as will the port ends and rear handle cut-out.

The circular hole in the central brace is to hold the back end of the driver motor/magnet.

The port is 690mm long by 20mm x 400mm, tuned to 20Hz-ish. Internal volume is 85L.

External Alesis RA500 power amp, connected by Speakon connector on rear panel.

The front will have a 450 x 450mm black anodised aluminium plate to hide the driver fixings and make it look all smart.

Well, I had plans and didn't get them done. Then I changed them again and again, with the last set planning to be built into some stud wall.

So I have to change the plan again as I am moving flat and the stud wall idea will no longer work. The new plan is to go with the old plan of the units based on the Klipsch jobbies. And the new place has a private garden and patio area I can work on too. :)

Finally I will have some progress. :D

Gave the passive BK Monoliths a good retune yesterday ready to watch Terminator Salvation. My conclusion was to run a single sub off the RA500 power amp using the amp in bridged mode. Works very nicely. :)

New plan however is to sell the passive Monoliths (with their nice glass protective tops I had cut) and my older RTP-15 (see AVForums for the build) that used an Adire Tempest in a 0.5x0.5x0.5m cube and build a Genelec HTS3B equivalent using a Peerless XLS 10" and 2 10" passives. I'll use the amp plate from the RTP-15 which is an RCM Akustik DT-110 I think.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.