DSP assisted reflex system

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
There will always be distances in a real box. As these become less significant, they approach the theoretical ideal where there is no delay. This is a case where it cannot be zero, only more or less significant.. however the system significantly functions according to theory.

Hi Perry,

Thanks for your AX article. Is there any op-amp version (active analogue) of the high pass shelf filter? @

Warm Regards,
WA
Yes, I can't give you a comprehensive answer but this thread shows an analog shelf filter, but this thread shows one with a 10dB boost at 90Hz whereas we're talking about a 10dB cut at 20Hz. It's essentially the same thing.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...eqing-transmission-lines-and-the-like.310150/

I'm guessing all you need to do is change the values.

A Linkwitz-transform is only good for a 2nd order system with a 12dB/oct roll off.
So in order to get a 5th order filter, you just have to add other highpass filters accordingly.
In this case you need a 3rd order filter on top of the LT.
(or a 2nd order followed by 1st order, but that is the same thing)

A super and easy quick trick to do this in simulation software, is either work with a target curve.
Or otherwise when that is not available, first add a LT at like 0.1Hz (Q=0.707) and than add another 5th order Bessel (in this case).
The result is a perfect Bessel response down to 0.1Hz.
Since I meant a reflex box it would be necessary to equalise two pole-pairs to a given target function. So two biquad functions à la Linkwitz are needed or one fourth oder EQ (like a 4th order state-variable filter for instance). Unless one existing pole can be used as-is.
I would never ever attempt to turn a closed box into a fifth order highpass. I am sometimes crazy but not THAT crazy. ;)
Fifth order instead of fourth would just add some subsonic protection ti a reflex box.

Regards

Charles

Since I meant a reflex box it would be necessary to equalise two pole-pairs to a given target function. So two biquad functions à la Linkwitz are needed or one fourth oder EQ (like a 4th order state-variable filter for instance). Unless one existing pole can be used as-is.
I would never ever attempt to turn a closed box into a fifth order highpass. I am sometimes crazy but not THAT crazy. ;)
Fifth order instead of fourth would just add some subsonic protection ti a reflex box.

Regards

Charles
Oh right, sorry I misunderstood.

It can be done on a similar fashion.

But like I said, it only works well on paper.
Practically speaking a BR system will have a much bigger error in its response.
This happens because of the non-linear BL(x) and Cms(x) and the fact that it's an higher order system.
So there won't be much left from that beautiful response.

But yeah adding an additional HP filter helps at least with the cone excursion.
Or when you can tune low enough, you can get a response that is kinda like a closed box + HP with a low Q.

Shelf filter seems to work fine for sealed too.
Here's same driver in same size box, but sealed now and using a 19Hz, 2.1Q, -19dB shelf. And is the only filter being used.
It's the power screen on the right. The left is the ported version previously posted, for comparison.
So sealed cost about 7dB for close to the same f-3.

diy single compare port vs sealed both about 30Hz tune.JPG

Excursion and group delay for sealed.
diy sealed 30 Hz excursion and GD.JPG

I'm getting more and more convinced, that when bottom end acoustic rolloff is the same between sealed vs ported...well, the dang subs are the same.
The size/width of the knee is as important as the rolloff below the knee, I think.
When knees and response below match perfectly, sealed will have no more of an advantage with group delay than ported.
I mean heck...acoustic response is acoustic response, right?

Also seems to me, whatever filters and techniques we use to get to any given acoustic response....shelving, high-pass, PEQs, Linkwitz transform...the combination of any or all of those filters.....
........they all end up after being summed together to be the same NET filter in the end.

Seems it just comes down to using whatever filter resources we have,
and don't fret over the idea that a LT transform is gonna work better than rolling your own with named filters, for example.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Also seems to me, whatever filtering filters and techniques we use to get to any given acoustic response....shelving, high-pass, PEQs, Linkwitz transform...the combination of any or all of those filters.....
........they all end up after being summed together to be the same NET filter in the end.
More or less, it can get quite convoluted, and sometimes you have to keep in mind that you don't clip a certain stage.
(especially with analog active filter, most DSP's have about 24dB headroom).

Also, you can kind of mimic certain filters with other types.
For example use a param EQ as a HP filter, with the added benefit that the groupdelay won't be as bad.

and don't fret over the idea that a LT transform is gonna work better than rolling your own with named filters, for example.
Well VituixCAD for example, has a IIR block where it can find just the right set of parameters.
Which is even better and easier! :)

It's the same thing?

I guess unless you wanna work with FIR filters, but IIR filters always come in blocks (aka biquads)
I meant biquad vs a named filter .......like a PEQ for example: 100Hz, +3dB , Q=2
I realize that named filter is converted into a biquad by the dsp software/platform. I just don't like to have to fool with a biquad string itself.

And yep, FIR is all I'll use anymore...other than maybe for system high-pass.

I take sheeple's point that if the port were far away, and the box large enough to be modal then it could change.. of course normally this is not significant. That said...

The driver works on the box straight away, and so does the box on the port. They may be out of phase but there is no delay. They are minimum phase.
The sum is minimum phase but the no delay?
The box compliance and port mass behave as bandpass filter working in parallel with the filter representing the driver which are summed external to the box.
Below box tuning the output of the port approaches zero delay, above tuning the box compliance and port mass invert the phase.
To achieve this the box first has to compress to then get the mass moving which takes time, once moving the box has to decompress before it can act on the mass to reverse its direction of movement. The output of the port is therefore delayed.
So at and above port tuning and starting at t=0, the first half cycle is output from the driver only, the port has not had time to get moving.
The implication is that the initial half cycle will produce less SPL overall at and above port tuning than the following cycles (steady state signal).
Martin Colloms .jpeg

Ok, will rephrase that, the amplitude peak of the port output is delayed with respect to the drivers amplitude peak output at and above resonance :)
This may affect the transient performance of the reflex system as opposed to a sealed or front loaded horn system, ie. the impact felt on the body from the wave front effectively being compressed in output compared to a closed rear chamber system.

Sorry for being picky but in this case it is necessary: The port output is not delayed but phase-shifted.

Regards

Charles
Maybe just call it group delay, that makes it even easier.

Although that's a little obvious, any higher order system always adds group delay. (aka phase shift)

In other words, you will have the same amount of group delay with a closed box system that's modified with a bunch of (high-pass) filters to get the same response.

Reactions: 2 users
Just like there is a triad relationship between box size, efficiency and bass extension (Hoffman's Iron Law) there is also a triad relationship between bandwidth, phase response, and harmonic distortion. You can have two, but you pay with the third.

This entire thread and my concept of DSP assisted reflex assumes (without explicitly stating) that we are willing to sacrifice phase response to get low THD and maximum bandwidth. I believe phase delay is the least audible of the three, and since my article examples include 3" full range drivers in a 1 liter box pushed all the way down to 55Hz, that seems like a pretty reasonable compromise.

The virtue of the Shelf filter is, it has 1/3 to 1/4the the phase shift of an 18 or 24dB high pass filter, so you're getting as little group delay as is physically possible with a minimal-excursion, minimum distortion reflex box.

If you listen to well-recorded bass drums (Circle of Manias and Fear of a Blank Planet by Porcupine Tree are great examples) closely you can hear the "thump" arriving later than the "slap." It's barely noticeable, but once someone points it out, you can hear it.

If you use a 24dB per octave HP filter you can definitely hear it. In fact you can almost time it with a stopwatch! Like I've said before, the thump arrives on a different date, a discernible fraction of a second later.

I don't think you can get around this time delay if you use bass reflex, all you can do is minimize it. (People have been saying that about bass reflex for 50 years, it's nothing new.) Shelf filters are the least compromised way to get the advantages.
Perry,

As you say, you can’t get around the one cycle phase/time delay of a bass reflex (phase inversion) system, a 25Hz Fb BR at minimum introduces ~ 40ms delay at Fb compared to a sealed box response, as can be seen in Josh Ricci’s measurements of sealed and BR cabinets using the same B&C 21SW152 drivers:
https://data-bass.com/#/systems/5b11bfe651412e00047d6693?_k=re5awp
BR:Sealed& BW24.png

By 50 Hz the group delay of the BR has dropped to near that of the sealed box.
Adding a 25Hz BW24 filter then adds another 15ms at Fb, the group delay still dropping to that of the sealed system by ~ 50Hz.

You say that the virtue of the shelf filter is it has 25-33% of the phase shift the BW24 filter adds at Fb , so could reduce the 15ms delay to ~ 3.75ms.

So, using the “least compromised” shelf filter (which won’t provide the out of band protection of a BW24…) the 75ms group delay could perhaps be dropped to 63.75ms, “a different date” ;) .
I’m glad that a tiny fraction of one cycle difference at 25 Hz does not sound like a “a different date” to me, though do wish my hearing and sense of timing was better...

Art
CEA-2010 Burst output.png

Hi Art,

This is the "back of napkin" way I think about it:

BR is 24dB/octave or 4th order. 180 degrees out of phase at cutoff. at 20Hz that is 25msec.

Adding a 4th order high pass protection makes it 8th order. 360 degrees out of phase at cutoff. At 20Hz that is 50msec

Using a shelf instead makes it 6th order. 270 degrees out of phase at cutoff. (Give or take a few.) At 20Hz that is 37.5msec.

So that cuts the phase delay by 25%. I think that's a meaningful improvement. At very low cutoff frequencies, that's a bare minimum of 10ms improvement.

And the 24dB filter in the real world does not always give better protection, because that steep jag in a Q=2.5 or Q=3 shelf filter gives you a larger drop where it matters the most which is just below driver resonance. The amount of music material in the lowest part of the shelf where it flattens out is usually trivial. A 16dB drop in that range is more than enough.

shelf-10dB_Q=3.png

This is a 10dB shelf, Q = 3, notice the drop between 25Hz and 13Hz is 24dB, and flattening out at -10dB at 5Hz and below is just enough to do the job. In a home stereo there's no music material that low. Probably much different in a PA system, where microphone pops might go down to DC :^>