• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DSD Initialization

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are two aspects to consider:

1) The player: It should when encoding DoP ensure that gapless stream is presented to the DoP decoder. This can easily be done by employing look-ahead and a FIFO.

2) The decoder (generally as USB interface etc): It should *never* allow unconverted DoP PCM frames to pass through. It should use a FIFO to analyze the frames and truncate and then refill the frames with silence until DSD samples are actually sent. When transitioning back to PCM the interface should pad the FIFO with silence samples prior to playing the actual stream.

Even better is just to avoid DoP altogether - there is simply no need for it.

In my search for truth :), I dropped a note to Andreas Koch of Playback Design because he is one of the main overseers of the DoP specification.

Here is his response:

"The issue you are describing is most likely not caused by the ESS chip, but rather by the implementation of DoP which is always outside of the DAC chip. It is something I am quite familiar with as I have implemented various DoP receivers for almost all the software players (Mac, Windows and Linux). They all generate substantial clicks when the output of the DAC is not muted properly.

The solution is always for the DoP implementation in the DAC to generate the proper mute signal to the DAC chip. I hear about this issue constantly and, honestly, I am a bit surprised at the lack of care by some of the designers and manufacturers."

So it looks like I need to bug Joro on this. Thanks for everyone's assistance in understanding the root problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.