Driving ESLs, thoughts wanted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Altaic

Don't give up just because any semblance to good sound always costs money :) The route you've taken is likely the least expensive way to very pleasant sound. Try the mains transformers, they're not that bad in this application. If anything they'd affect the highs rather than the bass. From what i understand your panel design doesn't allow you to drive just a narrow strip for highs, right/ That's a bit of a bummer. You'll have problems driving excessive capacitance with the mains transformers and how will you deal with dispersion? At 18x36" directivity is a real problem.
Regarding the distance between stators, it will only affect max amplitude and is only important for bass panels. The price for higher output is that you need higher polarising and driving voltage - lots of problems (but also beatiful sparks in the dark). A sensible distance to begin would be 1.5mmx2.

peter

BTW, ultranalog, your pdfs are encrypted.

Hmm, heard this before, but no probs here... used Acrobat5 type security, maybe that's the problem. Changed it to Acrobat3 now, does that work?

I'm guessing upwards of a couple hundred dollars.
Yeah, guessed right, I'm thinking a couple of thousand myself, wouldn't even want to know the exact amount... :bigeyes:

is voltage a function of distance between stators?
Basically, yes. The current is then dependent on the capacitance (which goes down with distance, C=e*A/D), and the maximum bandwidth required. So the power required should stay more or less equal as you vary D.

Remco

ultranalog: Yep, it works for me now. It really cost you a couple thousand for the parts? What was the most expensive part in there?

analog_sa: I'll give the mains transformer a try. Maybe I can add an extra 6"x18" tweeter panel and drive it with a reversed step-down transformer.

Would using an ESP 3A to drive a single panel be a bad idea? I have MLJ1302A/MLJ3281A output transistors, so I should be able to get 70 or so watts out of it. My room isn't large (10'x12') so I don't need a ton of power.

It really cost you a couple thousand for the parts? What was the most expensive part in there?
The relatively most expensive part was the AV20B driver tube at $150 each. Not that the 845, D3a, DCG4/1000G or UX226 were cheap. In absolute terms, iron is the most expensive. Always iron. PSU, chokes, interstages, anode chokes etc. Tube amps always get their cost from iron.

Remco

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.