Drivers for Fostex P1000-E

Hi,

I was looking for a fullrange for my desktop nearfield listening with a tube amp and didn't find many choices (none actually), but found the Fostex P1000-E enclosure. It says it's meant for Fostex P1000K, but search suggests some FE103 variations were used with success, all of which are discontinued and hard to get. I was wondering if the current FE103NV (which has a diferent Recommended Enclosure) would work fine in this enclosure or different specs make it not compatible? Just thinking a P1000K is too low end of a driver judging by the price.

No knowledge in the field, I am a consumer :)

Good evening. Welcome to the forum. 😁. So I bought the cheapest fostex speaker kit from Madisound with the fostex P800E drivers. The drivers were very nice but, the cabinet was very thin and cheaply made. Also the fe series from fostex tends to sound more bright and the letter s is very inhighted in sound. The new series NV I have not heard yet.The Fostex Fe series needs a Horn box to sound their best👍. Ported boxes don’t do them Justice . So here’s a few options for you to get your experience with full-range drivers. So would you be willing to look at another kit from madisound from mark audio? The Tozzi One kit from Mark Audio and it has everything you need. It is a better all around better driver and kit. They are my favorite driver the CHN-50’s driver and best bang for your buck. I posted pictures for you. Again welcome to the forum. Enjoy your start of an awesome path of sound reproduction. Be safe. Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_3369.png
    IMG_3369.png
    111 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3368.png
    IMG_3368.png
    293.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3370.png
    IMG_3370.png
    225.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3371.png
    IMG_3371.png
    101 KB · Views: 26
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Fostex P1000-E enclosure.

Not a well., thin, unbraced, MDF. built enclosure, but it is best with FF105wk.

If you are interested there are some simple tweaks that smooth out the rough edges.

P800K is 1.86 litre a bit on the small size for FF85wk, A5.3, CHN-50 but workable.

P1000-E is 3.8 litre, smallish for the FF105wk, really to large for the FE103s (haven’t looked at teh FE103NV), but again workable. Ideal volume for Aplair 6.2m, work with A6.2p as well (except the driver cut-out likely too large.

I agree with Jeff that teh MArkaudio are well worth looking at.

dave

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys for your comment on the P1000-E quality. I only chose that because it's the only one I found pre-assembled.

I am in EU, so madisound doesn't work for me, but I've found the Tozzi One kit in EU. The form-factor (wider but shallower) also fits my environment better. And it has a black color option (which is good).

The number of parts scares me, but it doesn't require gluing wood and woodworking tools and skills, so I should be able to handle that :LOL:

The only thing that concerns me is the driver itself. The CHN-50 is a 4Ω aluminum (as opposed to 8Ω paper fostex) - will it work well with a flea watt SE tube amp? I have a variety of amps from 2W EL84 to potentially an 8W 300B. I've found a paper CHN-50p but still 4Ω. CHN-50 is included in the kit, but I think I've seen the kit witthout the drivers as well, so might use the paper version with that?

Another thing is the size - it's 3" vs 4" fostex (which I thought was not much at all) - is it not going to sound like a mosquito singing or something like that?

Just had a a closer look at the Tozzi One kit, including the assembly video. Got some further concerns: the P1000-E albeit thin and cheap, is made of something resembling wood, while the Tozzi - just a piece of plastic :(
The other one is that it comes nearly assembled, and the assembly steps would cost like $5 in China where the kits come from, taking up the same space, so why make this a kit, rather than a finished product? :)

Don't have DIY experience, but all speakers I've seen come in some sort of wood-related enclosures - plywood, MDF etc.

The reviews are raving however, I think I should hear this thing. Just wondering if switching to a paper cone would be beneficial?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Tozzi is not Mark Fenlon's best effort. In terms of quality not any better than the Fostex box. But assembly (or disassembly) is a piece of cake);

All the 3” Markaudio are 4Ω, even on an 8Ω tap they will likely work fine. But if you hgave multiple transformer taps try them all, use the one that sounds best. The CHN-50 is a great driver, and wheh one considers price, absolutly outstanding. There are better boxes for them but you’d have to build them. This an example (Alpair 5.3, but CHN-50 drops in.

img_09357-jpg.1282568

I gave my Tozzi’s away, they are being enjoyed.

dave

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! That "better box" is beautiful!

I think I'll try the Tozzi Ones and also found a similar one - "Copperhead DIY speaker kit" - a little more complex, but still doable. If these go well, might look for a higher end driver and a custom box hopefully built by someone capable :)

Just trying to understand if the paper CHN-50p is any better than CHN-50 and will work as well in the Tozzi enclosure?

Please help!

Another one hard to get excited about… an MDF cube with legs. And inductors? I haven’t heard the Dayton/PE house brand drivers.
For that particular kit, the MDF is the least of anyone's worries. Ugly on many levels, but they're cheap, so I guess that's the attraction.

The Dayton RS100-8 looks way better in a small vented box, and it's only a few dollars more than the PS95-8. May be possible to skip those inductors too.

jeff

Tozzi is not Mark Fenlon's best effort. In terms of quality not any better than the Fostex box. But assembly (or disassembly) is a piece of cake);

All the 3” Markaudio are 4Ω, even on an 8Ω tap they will likely work fine. But if you hgave multiple transformer taps try them all, use the one that sounds best. The CHN-50 is a great driver, and wheh one considers price, absolutly outstanding. There are better boxes for them but you’d have to build them. This an example (Alpair 5.3, but CHN-50 drops in.

img_09357-jpg.1282568

I gave my Tozzi’s away, they are being enjoyed.

dave
Dave those Mark Audios in those boxes look like a million dollar speaker. The finish is so gorgeous to look at. Now I want one. To bad you don’t have any of these around to sell me. Thanks again Dave.