DRC, with open baffle speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"When you listen to the speaker in the sweet spot you have linear distortions caused by the system and the room so why correct only the first one?"

Because you can not correct the room due to the wide time window needing correction.
In theory you could correct for a single position but in practice you will get pre-echo and coloration. But what do I know, haven't really tried it much.
The manual for DRC is a good read.

Using DRC to generate a crossover it not a bad idea.
Define a desired slope and run with it. There should be enough parameters to correct the right amount of things.
Might even try it.
But my first victim would probably be a fullrange.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Behringer DEQ2496 is very limited in its EQ capabilities - 10 parametric EQ's is simply not enough. Its automated EQ is .. well... no good at all! Better to set it manually assisted by proper measurements I think.

It all depends on how you use it. Remember, it is not intended for small rooms. It's a PA EQ. Where you place the mic, how you aim it and of course the size of your room will give you different results. Retouching the auto-EQ by hand is essential for me. My listening space is medium size - about 112 cubic meters.

IMO, if one needs more EQ than the DEQ provides, it's time to take a hard look at the speakers and the room.

"When you listen to the speaker in the sweet spot you have linear distortions caused by the system and the room so why correct only the first one?"

Because you can not correct the room due to the wide time window needing correction.
In theory you could correct for a single position but in practice you will get pre-echo and coloration. But what do I know, haven't really tried it much.
The manual for DRC is a good read.

Using DRC to generate a crossover it not a bad idea.
Define a desired slope and run with it. There should be enough parameters to correct the right amount of things.
Might even try it.
But my first victim would probably be a fullrange.

If you read carefully I’ve used the word “part of linear distortions” .. Is true that one could not apply the total inversion of the excess phase part. The filter will be infinitely long. Pre-ringing artifacts will be unacceptable.

As like one could not totally invert amplitude of deep dips in the frequency response.

*.drc files used by Sbragion’s DRC are configurations text file in which you could customize a lot of parameters. Among them there are some important ones like the frequency dependent windowing of the minimum phase and the excess phase of the impulse response. If you carefully adjust them you could find the better balance for the correction without running in to pre-ringing artifacts / colorations.

I think that being too much rigorous like: "black or white", "true or false" is not so convenient..

Obviously imho..

Sbragion’s DRC is not made to create crossover filters. If one want to try it has to take care about a lot of parameters to configure in the *.drc file to avoid overflow/underflow errors of the software.
I now that Accourate generates crossover filters and linearization filter for speaker setup.

Jaco - the idea would be to use DRC as an automated means of EQ and phase correction for the drivers (instead of doing it manually), and leaving out room correction because of its limitations concerning the listening positions.

Concerning measurement limitations: Sure, but I'm working within the limitations of indoor nearfield and outdoor farfield measurements when taking measurements for manual EQ and driver alignment, too, so I guess there's not a lot more error to be expected than I already have in my current process...

If you are able to give an impulse response of your speaker system without environment transfer function, Sbragion’s DRC will correct it..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.