Down the repair or replace rabbit hole?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Over the years I have accumulated several drivers that I have bought cheap or received free only to find that they do not perform as expected/advertised or that I was given because " I build speakers and maybe could use these" from mates.
Yesterday I bought another driver that seemed OK, not open circuit and good travel but hooking it up all top end/ no bass and woofer tester tells me it has a real problem and Fs is 1100Hz not the 30 or 40Hz it should be.
My question is this; at what point do you just send the drivers to the tip? At what point is it worth having a driver rebuilt ?
I'd personally not bother when a woofer has a small magnet and a pressed steel frame but some of these drivers have cast alloy frames, massive magnets and 4inch voice coils and I have a hankering to build another huge box or two and retail on my last $50- buy is about $350- and more.
https://www.lorantz.com.au/loudspeaker-products/loud-speakers/15-inch-bass-mid/ac400x-b9s-1400w/
Micheal at Lorantz hasn't yet replied to my email but I have asked if they have a rebuild service and if so at what cost.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I've done a few swaps and a couple of surround replacements but rewinding a 4inch voice coil might be a bit beyond me. Also the factory rebuild is about the same cost [ I think] as the parts. Replacement 4 inch voice coils were about $90- each last time I priced one.