Douk Audio / JOSAudio TDA1541 DAC Board?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking at getting a TDA1541 dac board to play with, and not quite interested in the cheap looking ~$50 kits available. I found this board on aliexpress / taobao / ebay which looks like it uses some very high quality parts and has a well laid out board with lots of room for tinkering later on if I so choose. The board says JOS Audio.

However, I don't see any information about users who have tried the board out. So have any of you purchased one of these?? Pics and links attached below.

Douk Audio DAC Board Digital to Analog Converter RE Philips for TDA1541 SAA7220 827719110543 | eBay

HIFI JOSAUDIO Philips 10th Anniversary TDA1541 DAC Decoder Board PCB – Ezbuypay

JOSAUDIO hifi Forum 10th Anniversary TDA1541 DAC Decoder Board Semi finished Board on AliExpress

I just received a JOSAUDIO TDA1541A board and I must say that the quality is excellent. Very high quality. The board depicted in the eBay listing was v18.04 but the one I got was v20.01, which is quite a bit different. I'll have to trace it out but new features include footprint for two pots labeled VOL_L & VOL_R behind the output RCA's, footprint for a connector labeled EXT_DSP with pins for VCC, GND, INT, UNL, 44K and I2S below the EXT_I2S connector and a EXT_INT connector next to the SPDIF input with pins labeled VCC, GND, DAT and GND.

Does anyone have any info on these new features? Schematics etc. would be welcome, besides what's usually available in the various listings. AFAIK non of the ones in listings are the true schematic of what's actually sold, or error free for that matter.

I can post images of board if anyone is interested.

@weissi: Referring to which one, the one from the OP or the one thuanth43 (Platinum?) posted? No local decoupling or not enough local decoupling? I know nothing, and I'd use a few more µf caps, but lots of 100n caps are sprinkled around.

Schematic for the basic 10th anniversary version is available. Old they/it may be, but, to some, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

audiosciencereveiw on what looks like the version the OP linked to.

Look, I'm just in this for the fun, the journey and learning by doing. The board cost me a whooping £28 delivered - big whoop. I'm going to use the schematic as a starting point for my own thing and wanted to check it out beforehand. It may not be the best, which is also besides the point for me, but I'm pretty sure it's not the worst, nor a complete waste of money. YMMV, of course.

The OP requested info from someone having tried it. I haven't, yet, but I've bought it and was just a bit surprised by the differences. That's all. Then I thought I'd contribute with this version of the board, and see if anyone had schematics besides what's available.

Attachments

• Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 501
  • Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 656
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
It is not fun, if you really read anly once this thread from the beginning you will not have purchased such a board... A simple second hand from Philips cd player would have you learned more... you 're just a victim of a "designed in the kitchen want more monney merchand" imho... You didn't understand yet what is the total cost of ownership but sure it will come, just because it is your money and you will realise with more try & error : being there already, really :) . Well nothing bad with experiments.

Last edited:
What did I miss? I see two posts before your first, none of which warned about anything. You just called it old, pointed at something else supposedly better and declared everything else futile and expressed an opinion. Is what you're saying based on actual use of the board, which is what the OP requested while not asking for alternatives?

I don't feel like a victim and entered willingly into this knowing a thing or two about what I'm doing while being aware that I really know nothing. I still feel fine having bought this board, and trust me, it's fun. What I perceive as an attempt at making me feel or look foolish or stupid has yet to succeed. I may be either or both but I'm still not convinced.

Besides, this board is a fraction of the cost of what I want to do and it's truly about having fun. I'm not suffering, this is a hobby and (many) hobbies cost money. If I end up having fun that's money well spent, no matter what I end up with. If I end up learning things - even better.

Honest question, and I'm not attacking you, but I know nothing about you or if what you say should carry any weight so please enlighten me?

"designed in the kitchen want more monney merchand", is that just an opinion or do you actually know this? If so, then please share.

Besides the JOSAUDIO thing, that AYA 4 is just the best of dozens of what you've built/bought/heard and based on actual experience, I take it?

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
no problem to have fun :) , coments are just here to give you more fun and winn time/monney. John from ECdesigns and many others in this thread imputed so many things that it is a pity no take them as a choice factor, that was just my point, not a crticism of your way to have fun. I like to populate and tweak myself and learned a lot like that and still consider myself as a newbie.

@ Cherik : yes, indeed, but more than dozen... I wish I had listen the EC Designs TDA1541A. Very good testimonials from owners as well.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Cherik, sorry for the lack of reference, you're right, it was not clear at all, i refered to the long thread John from ECdesign about the TDA1541A I believed you maybe readed as it's a classic, that's the one I talked about when I said "from the beginning". Of course there are other many threads on the tda1541A. The layout is very documented when we talk about the tda1541a and many pcbs were made, designed, talked, etc. That was not a personal attack. I just shared my experience and believe you may have even more fun with a sota design. The one showed here is very dated. Much better things and more versatile were made since half a decade. I pointed towards the one that I use now for some years and that seems to me the best for this chip. The guy behind has almost 20 years of experience with this chip and the long thread I refer is also almots a decade. Worth a close read imho if you didn't already0

For a cheaper project, no doubt I will choose Abraxalito's, despite ceramic class I and no source thinked is a no-no for a dac project from my point of view - it's a whole-, but sure it's way above the Jossa. Just at looking the pcb suffices as imputed some members above.

Last edited:
For a cheaper project, no doubt I will choose Abraxalito's, despite ceramic class I

I guess you mean class II here - they can be bypassed with a 0R 1206 resistor and external caps used. People very much like choosing their own coupling caps I've learned, best not to spend too much money or space on a DAC accommodating a cap that end users prefer to substitute for themselves.

and no source thinked is a no-no for a dac project from my point of view - it's a whole-, but sure it's way above the Jossa.

What is 'no source thinked' here? Are you complaining about lack of U.fl connectors?

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
yes class II I meant. I was not refering to the outputt caps but all the x7r that could be in the analog (and even digital path) of the dac.

Source is the solution the designer choose between the I2S input and the streamer : USB to I2S, SPIDF to I2S.
From my point of view, this stage + its powersupply is a part of what you hear at the outputt of the dac board

Last edited:
I was not refering to the outputt caps but all the x7r that could be in the analog (and even digital path) of the dac.

'Could be' ? The schematic's published - if you examine it you'll find the analog path is DC coupled right up to the output cap. Digital path has some (irrelevant) class I caps.

Source is the solution the designer choose between the I2S input and the streamer : USB to I2S, SPIDF to I2S.
From my point of view, this stage + its powersupply is a part of what you hear at the outputt of the dac board

I leave the choice of this stage to the end-user by only providing I2S.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.