Double or nothing on baffles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What are the benefits of making the front baffle twice as thick as the rest of the enclosure? And does the entire baffle need to be doubled, or can the area around the drivers just be made thicker? Some speakers have a lot of baffle with not a lot of driver in them, think of the Frugel-horns. Would 50% of the baffle be sufficient to double up, what about a square as wide as the enclosure is around the driver?

I'm just curious about the science. And also to reduce the shipping weight of the speaker, as the material cost for the extra baffle is negligible but it could make a big difference in the shipping cost if it is on the edge of being oversized.

Thanks!!

Hey Bob, are you really in Allentown? We are practically neighbors, I'm in Whitehall. But to answer your question, I think you either double the baffle thickness or brace the hell out of it so either way you are adding weight or size to a dimension (or both). If you are worried about sound, double the baffle. If you are worried about shipping cost, go single.

Hey Pauly,

Yes, I am in Allentown!! I'm planning on having a meet-up end of January or early February and being that you are so close I expect you to show up! I asked the question above because I may make a Halcyon flat pack for someone in Chicago and the shipping weight is pushing 150 lbs with the double baffle. Granted it isn't a lot of weight, but the shipping cost will be close to $200 and they want to try to save money on shipping costs.

Bob

A thicker baffle allows deep edge bevels or edge rounds, which properly executed, can significantly reduce distortion from edge diffraction effects. The designer has the option to reduce some weight by maintaining the full baffle thickness only around the edges. The area around the rear cone must be chamfered for easy air flow.
=====

Worth the cost and effort for both reduced distortion and "artistic statement value". Many proven designs to study.

A 0.5" router chuck can hold a 1.5" radius quarter round cutting bit($100 - $150).
A 3hp shaper can hold a 3" radius quarter round cutting bit.
You can purchase molded quarter round MDF with 1" - 6" radius

"Avalon style" deep truncated pyramid edge baffle cuts can even be done with a hand saw.

A thicker baffle allows deep edge bevels or edge rounds, which properly executed, can significantly reduce distortion from edge diffraction effects. The designer has the option to reduce some weight by maintaining the full baffle thickness only around the edges. The area around the rear cone must be chamfered for easy air flow.
=====

Worth the cost and effort for both reduced distortion and "artistic statement value". Many proven designs to study.

A 0.5" router chuck can hold a 1.5" radius quarter round cutting bit($100 - $150).
A 3hp shaper can hold a 3" radius quarter round cutting bit.
You can purchase molded quarter round MDF with 1" - 6" radius

"Avalon style" deep truncated pyramid edge baffle cuts can even be done with a hand saw.

I get the extra beefiness for mounting the driver, and relieving the backside for breathability is easy for me. I was just wondering if the entire baffle being twice as thick was any different than just beefing up the area around the driver. And this "beefing up could be easily hidden inside the enclosure. There is no need for anyone to "see" the thickness of the baffle. At least from an aestheic point of view.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.