double horn, bib or angular spiral horn?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yesterday I finished.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Listening impression:
Too much midrange
The bass isn't lauder as with horn, but it's present.
With some cd you get a lot of bass other cds sound thin.
Bass is very directional, because if you don't stay in fornt and at same height of the driver you hear less bass with some cds.

I'm to put more absorbing material. I putted very little, just 3mm leayer behind the driver and some above the driver.

now I addedd a lot of abosrbing material. I stuffed the closed end of the pipe. Plus 2 layers, about 1 cm behind the driver. And a thin layer on the internal baffle. This changed the sound completely.
No more screaming highs, and a lot a lot of bass from all the cds.
Before putting it I was hearing just some bass in the very low frequency, but now the sound is rich.

Very happy about it, never heard a bass so low in frequency. The high aren't quiet as with horn, but I'll add more absorbing, if it do that well to the sound...

I added a lot of absorbing material(polyester) under the driver and another layer behind. Result? Bass now is less less lauder, not really a good thing (that's what about this enclosure is all about) and highs are like before, they are unforgiving in some recordings.

What can i do?

other place to put absorbing?
resistor?

Cabinets don't really affect the HF. The highs are lunforgiving because that's the nature of the driver: it's not an especially smooth or forgiving listen up-top. A pair of phase plugs from Dave P10 would help.

The further down the line you stuff, the more LF you'll absorb. As I mentioned before, a good compromise is to stuff the point above the driver, place a layer of felt or similar directly behind the driver, and then place a thick layer of stuffing on the internal base, which should absorb the unwanted higher frequencies (over about 350Hz) & prevent most of them leaking out of the terminus, while preserving the LF.

More pics

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Shot with hp photosmart 720 at 2007-08-01

Shot with hp photosmart 720 at 2007-08-01

The cabinet is mad of fir wood. Inside I glued the nodes.

Now I solved the problem with highs. It was fault of a bad speaker. I tried with another FE206E I have and now the highs are normal. The speaker has some light scratches on the wizzer cone. They are my friend's speaker(previuosly they were in BR boxex but now he has 2 horns and he don't know what to do with them).

A lot of people do this
http://img503.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fotosemirowlm0.jpg
It has an acoustic advantege or it's just for the look?

I seen on this forum that some people inverted the pipe, should I try or I have a sufficiently ceiling height?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.