Don Williams: Your favourite album/songs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I like his laid-back vocal more in my true single ended Aleph3 than in Pass Labs A40, MOSFET Crescendo and several McIntoshes. Unfortunately he has too many albums with overlapping songs.

What is your favourite album and songs (Of course recording matters ;))?

I used to be a country musics (and vocal) fan when I was a tube fan. Now I'm a MOSFET fan I guess. But I found that many audiophiles like DW songs (Audiophiles are mostly old guys and tube guys, aren't they?)

I posted because I was curious why people not using the forum to exchange information regarding good recordings. CDs are not cheap for most music listeners. Using boombox, recording quality is not important but when people start to build tube amps, class A amps or other quality amps and speakers, I think they cannot go with CD piracy.

It is fine if we can try out CDs before buying, but that is not always possible. Or if we can, the system quality , or the file format in case of MP3 (Hey, more than 2000 internet MP3 heavy users were sued by EMI/Universal/Sony!) is not good enough to explore the recording potential. :bigeyes:

Got me pegged. I'm a vinyl fan, tube-MOSFET fan, audiophile..OLD guy. 50 gets closer everyday. Favorite recording of merit? The remastering of Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue". I now own 3 copies of that masterpiece (original album, CD, re-mastered CD), and will probably get the remastered vinyl pressing. I find the remastered CD phenomenal. However, I am hooked on Davis, Coltrane, Mingus, Monk, Webster, Ashby, Ellington........

Yes... you must be one ;) Tube-MOSFET? a hybrid or tube pre plus MOSFET amp? But it must be those Hitachis, right?

Jazz was my favourite 10 years ago. Ironically, my favourite music type/genre is determined by the audio system I'm using. I was using 2SK135/J50 and a 3-way speaker. A system for jazz, if you know what I mean. Pre-amp can be the op-amp based (OPA 2134 type) or 6J5. Later I tried tubes but never been happy so I go back to MOSFET, but I rarely use 3-way anymore (have tried to build one, but failed).

So, in a 2-way system (a cheap one of course), my jazz CDs cannot find their way from the box into the player. I don't use vinyl because the songs/albums are very limited. But I will buy that "Kind Of Blue", at least for collection ;).

Lately I have been trying to listen to a jazz radio station (through my Nokia 6510!) in order to hunt good jazz music. I want something that is not too jazzy (too mainstream?), something like pop-jazz, like Norah Jones (Come Away With Me & Newyork City). Yesterday I heard John Mayer and I like it (but it doesn't sound like jazz???).

BTW, which one of those singers you have mentioned that I probably like?

Tube pre, MOSFET power (yep, Hitachi's --- modified Hafler
from 20 years ago). For speakers I have Acoustat 3's and Hales
Revelation 3's (switching between these can be a pain). None
are singers, all jazz musicians. Try some Duke Ellington, great swing. I often cross the line into rock, country, alternative (my daughter has taken me to see Saliva and Hoobastank (did I spell that correctly!?)). I always come back to Jazz. I live outside Atlanta, there are no jazz stations here (there is a wannabe, all they play is Kenny G).

Slydwz,

I guess the Haffler is a high wattage amplifier, at least uses 2 pairs of MOSFET per channel. But 2 pairs might be not enough for the acoustat. I like MOSFET especially because of their performance at low frequencies (wide bandwidth and smooth decay), and Hitachis for the smooth trebles (low gate capacitance). And the Hales shines at where the Acoustat really suffers, the bass. I guess this is what you meant by switching between them can be a pain. I have heard electrostatic with tube-MOSFET and I didn't like it. But with the Hales, I imagine it will be wonderfull.

BTW, I have added these 2 albums into my shopping cart: "Kind Of Blue" and "Ellington At Newport (Live)". I'm very selective, aren't I? :). I guest I will prefer The Ellington than the Miles Davis, and I have never liked saxophone either.

Bas,

I also have only 2 albums, the audiophile's recordings. "20 Greatest Hits" is the next target for this singer.

I recon you are one of the tube guy. I guess in Holland you go to vynil shops a lot more often than to CD shops ;)

You must be psychic! Ellington at Newport Live is my favorite
Duke. Yeah, the Hafler is not a good choice for the Acoustat's, although I have an ARC D76A that is great for them. I tried integration of subwoofers with these, but never had great luck
(homemade of course). Now they spend most of their time in the basement (next project is a music room there). Get me out of the living room for the WAF.

Bas, no Don CDs in Holland? What are you looking for?

Bas, no Don CDs in Holland?

Hi Slydwz,

To be honest I have not really searched for them...since I copied one of my dads... so there must be.....but never spotted any...it is just not mainstream at all over hear....but Don is just one of those hidden treasures I guess you would call it..no-one i've spoken with has ever heard of him.....well their loss

But while I am on this thread...does anyone have a recommendation for an album?

I have greatest hits volume 1 and expressions... am I missing out on something?

Regards,
Bas

LEONARD COHEN

Hi Jay,

Are you ever been heard LEONARD COHEN, this man very5x influenced me besides JESUS ;)

About TUBE- SEMI, if you talked in single-ended area, carefull!! because you now in fifth stadium!!
:angel:
One day without music my migrain start to knocking :devilr:

sadly till now sony columbia not planned this man in SACD format, I'm the first buyer in their list if they want to release any album

Sorry! I'm not a fan of SACD....but i have all the CDs of him...

Is one of singers that the more i listen...the more i like!!!

The album "New skin for the old ceremony " is specialy well recorded...maybe a tube recording as it is from 1974 ;)
what's wrong between indonesian and portuguse

The politics... the politicians don't like music...that's the problem of our world!...;)

Warm regards!

R I T E !!

The more I listen the more I like.......crystal clear to me
Why not in SACD esp the acoustic era......oh eargasm...!!
I also have the entire album. So do I, started from "New Skin From Old Ceremony" btw have u ever listen to bootleg from zurich concert 1993......."Oh My3x Man"

Politician never heard music, cause they all D E A F !! :dead:

I'll try to leave You ;)

Ciaaao

You R I T E !! again? :D

I'm a music lover who can play music at all, so become a diyers
Oh no..........:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:
not yet listen to that album, is it new? useless to try to find MADREDEUS here, also they released a DVD?, pls5x help me:att'n:

coz u said adeus i remember......the GOOD ONE

I can imagine how amazing that album!!! coz long I hoped they release a live album, Whatta Fifth Stadium music lover we are;)

Juang

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.