Does this volume control digitize the signal?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I am purchasing an integrated amplifier with a JRC 72321 chip-controlled volume scheme and there is very little information on whether it simply controls a bunch of resistors in the analog domain, or if the input signal gets digitized along the way. Any parts-related information I could find was a bit over my head in its explanation.
Thank you

Last edited:
I always try to download the datasheet when i investigate a part
https://www.njr.com/semicon/PDF/NJU72341_E.pdf
Looks to be a well written. Digi-Key is selling them, very economical.
Interesting to see that I2C is still in use for high end audio.
I am not sure why you think that. I2C is probably the most popular IC interface ever invented.
From experience I would dedicate one I2C channel to this device, for this function. Thus best to chose a MCU that has more than one I2C I/F if you have other I2C devices. Some think I2C isolation is required as well, am not too sure if it is required, would have to scope/measure the signals as you make I2C transactions. I have seen some design control the edge rate to minimize signal feedthrough.
Thanks for bring this part to my attention, good for a low cost pre-amp.

Last edited:
The specs on that chip are rather 'loose' in that the gains have a rather wide range. What is disappointing is
that no provision is made for running more than 1 chip in the system. I²C includes an address in the
definition to deal with multiple devices. This chip requires you to add your own multi addressing to add other
I²C devices into the system. They have 4 NC pins. 2 of them would have been easy to implement in the chip.
It does have one very strong point in its favor in that is is VERY inexpensive. That would not be enough for
me to use it though.

I don't see any problems using I²C in audio devices. My preamp uses I²C to load the Adafruit LED modules.
I only send data when it's required so it doesn't add any noise in the audio.

Happy New Year

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.