Does this 12" woofer exist?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi denibeni,
The Eminence 3012 woofer was one of the first that caught my eye when parsing through loudspeaker database. I have not given up on it but the rapidly rising impedance response around 300 hz has me somewhat concerned. Is this something I should be concerned about if crossing over to the midrange in that region? Or is this more this driver intended more as a subwoofer to be used under 100 hz.?

Best Regards,
Rich

Scaling can be misleading. This woofer can be used even in a 2 way, but it's much better in a 3 way 800Hz LR4 or 500Hz LR2 and below. I use 380Hz LR2, fantastic driver.

I know you have a ton of suggestions. Looking back at your volume available I realize that it's ideal for the driver I use in my horn system. Run sealed it is just right for your cabinet volume, and I use it up to 500hz, so you should be great up to 300. The only disadvantage is that the driver is not sensitive. You would have to use an active setup with a separate amp for the woofer. I would strongly recommend that you do that anyway to implement room correction and make amp experimenting more flexible. My journey through bass drivers started with a PA woofer with high sensitivity. Not only was there inadequate output in the low bass, but it lacked resolution. It had a "wooly" sound despite eq. Next I tried 2 expensive 10" hifi woofers. Better sound quality but low bass needed supplementation from a subwoofer to be adequate. Finally trying my current subwoofer driver I found that I had extreme output capabilities in the lowest octaves plus much to my surprise, the higher frequencies sounded much cleaner than any of the other drivers. The driver is the Dayton 12" HF subwoofer.

There is one driver option suited well for a closed box, ESS 689-1220, selling at Simply Speakers for $139. Good for 50W of input power at 6mm Xmax. F3/F6/F10=42/34/27 Hz in a 65 litres enclosure.

Another well suited woofer for a vented box, Volt RV3143.

Thanks Lojzek,
I will take a look at those two suggestion. Getting lots of suggestions for both sealed and ported. I certainly like the idea of keeping the woofer cost around $150.00 or less thus keeping in line with what I spent on the B&C 6NDL38 mid range. Although, I had not stated as such; this was intended to be more of a lower cost budget project. My current project is more of a high dollar build (at least for me) using Satori drivers in a Thiel inspired 3 way floormount.:) But that said, I had not really thrown out any potential 12" woofers unless they are over say $300.00.

Best,
Rich

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.