does subwoofer equalization degrade sound quality?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
it depends on a few things..... if done properly it will not degrade sound quality or shorten the life of the sub.

Is the equalization circuit adding distortion ..... well the short answer is yes but if you use good quality components then the effect will be minimal.

The power rating of the sub must not be exceeded.

The Xmax of the sub must not be exceeded.

As long as you don't push the driver beyond its XMAX with equalization and keep the line level signal that feeds your sub at a reasonable level, there is no reason why it should shorten the life of your driver.

Be aware that every +3dB you add will effectively halve the output power of your amp. For example, adding +6dB at 20Hz will reduce maximum output of a 500w amp to somewhere closer to 125w.

I know that I am speaking of evil here, but I am seriously thinking of putting an aural exciter in my home theater set-up. The Aphex and the BBE units are cheap and do wonders for sound if used lightly. Home theater is not high art so that is not a big concern for me - but I think that this effect set might help out movies - especially older ones. Thoughts? Or should I be taken out in the streets and shot like a rabid dog?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.