Does Bi-Amping with F5 for the lows and AlephJ for mid/high make sense?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't see how you can bi-amp into a passive crossover with different amps for top and bottom. This would require (passive or active) filtering before the amps and subsequent bypassing of the passive crossover in the speaker.

If two amps sound different, at least one of them is wrong.

You can bi-amp with passive speaker xover if they were designed to do so with split xover and dual binding speaker post, there is no need to bandwidth limit the amplifiers with noisy active filters ...

No you actually gain headroom with two amps over one when passive bi-amping, the issue with adding active xover in signal path is coloration. When adding more signal path there is always degradation in sonics , there is even issues when doing it passive, parallel amplifier inputs will change the load to the pre-amp, this changes the tonal balance of the system, sometimes negative , sometimes not.

Adding additional pre- amplified electronics stages always introduce extra noise and signal degradation, sometimes it is overcome by the extra drive , sometimes not.

Last edited:
Hi Spiritzly,
I hit the bypass button and found some presence was lost in the music, my first active crossover was simple maybe I need to try it again instead of the deq,dcx way,I do have a EQ in my puter I use to play music out of (BTW who's sound card did you settle down to?) ifirc it was not influencing the insertion ,it used 4 op amps,I do try to build my speaker to over handle the band widths so I can vary crossover points without trouble,I use full range for mids seem to sound the best ,and a good comp for the highs,and as always ain't nothing perfet ,thiers always a trade off somewhere,thats when I EQ to correct ,but sometimes that just doesn't sound right to my ears so I adjust til I like the sound and don't care if it's not therorticly correct,lol.Great highs and a good smooth bass and kick drum and of course good voices seem to be my sweet spot,lol.I gues that is what pushes us to build and play some more,lol.but it's fun,nieghbors haven't thrown me out for bad music so far,lol.plates rattiln and all ,lol.
Have a GREAT DAY!BE HAPPY play some good music.......
NS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.