Does anyone sell a preamp kit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've looked a few sites that sell gainclone type kits but I haven't found one that sells preamp kits. I recently purchased a kit at chipamp.com so I'll need a pre for it. High fidelity is less important to me than having fun building and learning about a different realm of DIY Audio. Till now I've only built guitar pedals and a couple of amps.

There is an outfit out of China that sells little tube pres on Ebay and those look cool but I wouldn't know where to find a transformer that has the right secondaries for the heaters. Does anyone have any experience with the Chinese sellers? I've purchased several harder to find IC's from some sellers in Hong Kong (delay chips mostly) and have had good luck.

Of course, I'd prefer to keep the money in the states if someone makes a good pre kit.

Thanks again in advance.

Cool, thanks for posting. Let me say that I'd love a bottlehead kit and not just cause they are in Washington too. However, for the time being I'll have to settle for an apogee kit. Does anyone know where I could buy the appropriate transformer to power this pre...

Apogee preamp kit

If I understand it correctly, I'll need a transformer with two 12V primaries is that right?

That looks like a good first preamp project. I was thinking about it after I posted. I'm not sure of your experience with electricity/electronics, but if you haven't worked with higher voltages, it would be good to start with a solid state based design. Vacuum Tubes usually use voltages that are lethal. If you don't know the basic safety rules of working with these sorts of voltages, we won't be communicating with you for much longer:bigeyes:

Peace,

Dave

Dave-

I think I'll end up with the solid state pre but mainly because it's inexpensive. I've actually built a couple of tube guitar amps and about a million pedals so I don't mind working around tube voltages.

I keep one hand behind me and poke around with a pair of chopsticks from Imperial Hunan. Oh, and I always drain the caps before I start and not just the "screw driver arching across the chassis" method either.

I think I'll swing for the fences next time and maybe pick up a bottlehead kit. I have a thing for glowing glass. Mmmmm hot glass.

Hey HiWatt25, Just wanted to make sure. I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people here, and also a lot of people just learning. I also know that the moderators (understandably) emphasize that people be warned of potentially lethal situations.
The preamp does look pretty good for the price, I didn't notice if it comes with a power supply or if you will have to buy one separately. I would suspect the latter. I did notice that the actual kit is a Velleman kit, Apogee Kits is just reselling. Not a bad thing, just something to think about. If you do end up needing a power supply to run the preamp, drop me a PM, I probably have something in my basement that would do the trick pretty well. Wouldn't cost you anything but shipping. However, you would have to post your impressions of listening to the preamp here on the site!:D

Peace,

Dave

Hi Guys,

Hiwatt25, I hope I can use your thread for a similar quest! Thanks!

I have been thinking of building a quality kit for the experience and learning (Daniel saw me respond on another thread, similar theme). However, the only thing I am interested in replacing right now is my preamp. I have a Rotel RTC-950. It is not bad but I feel it is my weakest link!

I have a Rotel RCD-965BX being modded right now that I want to take as far as I can go.
I also have a Rotel RHB10 Michi Amp that I really like and will keep forever for something somewhere but for now is my main amp.

I also have a pair of ProAc Studio I MK IIs I will keep forever too and a Sansui TU 717 that will be modded next Summer. A Technics TT that I am rewiring from the Headshell to the RCAs with a new cartridge.

Some of these might be addressed later but the preamp is the first kit. I have been really admiring the Modwright SWLP 9.0SE before I decided to maybe build something. It is expensive.

Would the Bottlehead Forplay III Extended be a nice kit giving me comparable results for $659 w/o Phono stage or would you recommend something different?

Thanks for helping me to get the most value AND satisfaction.

Regards//Keith

I use the SkPre which is a lovely little bit of kit. Stays out of the music nicely and there is a funky little optical volume control to go with it if you are so inclined. Great support forums for builds as well and as a total first timer to this I built it with no problem. You can run it from a wallwart but I used a small toroid as I hate wall warts.

It's at:

http://www.ska-audio.com

Whatever you build, have fun!

Iain

Hi garage,

Do you have any experience with the Transcendent? Anything you could share would be helpful!

Magura,

Is the kit that Zen Mod has the way to go? Is it complete or would I need to shop for matched components? What can you share about your experiences with it? How does it compare to a high value Tube kit?

Thanks Gentlemen!

Regards//Keith

Heh, funny I've been in pursuit of a quicky, inexpensive preamp/tone stage & posted this elsewhere...

I have one of these from ebay - tubeshunter and it looks o.k. (little basement flood has post-poned me actually listening to it) - just need to add 10k balance pot. Looking for a way to *finish* the project soon, $22 built & shipped looked good to me. Would consider ESP's board and k8084 too as both of those are well-documented & supported (esp. ESP)... looking for discrete opamp stages instead of a monolythic IC based one. Need to squeeze a little PS for it too.

KP11520 said:
Hi garage,

Do you have any experience with the Transcendent? Anything you could share would be helpful!

Magura,

Is the kit that Zen Mod has the way to go? Is it complete or would I need to shop for matched components? What can you share about your experiences with it? How does it compare to a high value Tube kit?

Thanks Gentlemen!

Regards//Keith
Most of the kits available provide the printed circuit board(s) and the discrete components only. Chassis ,and associated hardware are up to you to obtain and the complexity of the hardware generally matches the complexity of the circuit. The PUMPKIN is top of the line and and rather complex but the bonus is the assistance available from the designer who although abit nutz at times , has the know-how to get you through any problems. There are simpler circuits available in kit form which are quite good ...try the TWISTED PEAR website. Again Chassis and associated hardware are left up to you.

Whatever road you may take ...remember there are many good people involved with this forum that are available to answer questions.

I have only had the pleasure of listening and going over the transcendent preamp locally. It comes with chassis and everything you need to build, plug, listen! I was impressed to the point that I am purchasing one as soon as my taxes arrive. I hate spending money and love bang for the buck / I feel the GG preamp is worth every penny of the $500 price tag.

I do wish it came "components only" with no chassis as it is nothing special to look at, but I plan to strip it all down and anodize it black to suit... my taste.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yo, boyz & girlz ........
:clown:

just one tiny comment , regarding :Pumpkin:

in case that someone mix it with chip amp , soon will be in hard mess :

considering that Pumpie ask for much more efforts in building than any chip amp , and considering how it sings - you'll be in situation that you contemplate about making some Pass amp - to mate it with Pumpie (building that kind of drek lead to addiction ... ) ......... and leaving chip amp for kitchen ......

:devily:

( been there ....... )

garage1217 said:
I have only had the pleasure of listening and going over the transcendent preamp locally. It comes with chassis and everything you need to build, plug, listen! I was impressed to the point that I am purchasing one as soon as my taxes arrive. I hate spending money and love bang for the buck / I feel the GG preamp is worth every penny of the $500 price tag.

I do wish it came "components only" with no chassis as it is nothing special to look at, but I plan to strip it all down and anodize it black to suit... my taste.

WOW!!Who's doing the anodizing???

:bigeyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.