does anyone collect coleman gear?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It needs a good cleaning and some new nickel on the lense seat. But I can sandblast and paint the top myself. I think I heard the rounded glass coleman lanterns are among some of the earlier ones. If its that old I may keep this one back in the house for display. Does anyone collect coleman gear and have an idea of its age?

Attachments

• coleman.jpg
    coleman.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 113
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I used to "collect" Coleman gear, but recently gave the stuff to a close friend.

Some of the early lanterns are pretty cool looking. I assume someone, somewhere collects them.

I can't guess what the vintage of your lantern is, but the modern lanterns have straight sided globes. I would guess anytime from the 1960s on back.

Why not use it? Many of the parts hopefully are interchangeable with those in later lanterns. You will probably have to replace the generator assembly. (From experience)

Does anyone collect coleman gear and have an idea of its age?
AFAIK there's two web sites for these lanterns, maybe one has a forum or email the site owners for info. I reckon as Kevin said, the globular glass is the thing (rare).
I have one from the nineties, good investment as they've tripled in price according to amazon.

why is top cap so cockeyed?
or most ppl crack the glass by cranking down on the cap nut.

Last edited:
I still have the Red Coleman lantern me and wifey used on our honeymoon many decades ago. Still have the original filter and some mantles. The Coleman camp-stove got the heave-ho about 10 years ago. (I have a good friend whose Coleman camp stove blew up on them.) The Coleman catalytic heater is long-gone as I didn't want to chance CO poisoning.

If by collect you mean store it in the garage at the back of the shelf because you don't go camping anymore then yes, I collect Coleman gear. :)

Haha true, I havent had the time or interest to go anymore although if I was setup in a lawn chair with a cold beer in front of a warm campfire and good company you probably wouldnt hear a complaint out of me. Its the planning/packing/driving/ spending that keeps me from bothering. But yes it is nice. not to mention the time it takes doing all of it.

Ok I had some time to investigate this thing a little more and it turns out my squirreled tube pre amp savings plan may get a nice little bump. I think I have one of the more sought after models also having the nickel plated copper tank and red top. Mines circa 1951 #200 I dont see as many of those, compared to say the later 200A. So that tells me more desirable and less of them look to be out there I got lucky here from what I gathered. Its in nice condition too and all complete. It has what you would expect on the metals but being what it is Id call it pretty good over all condition. I will make a picture later if anyone cares to have a look at it. it looks just like this one, mines just 2 years older. I may even make a hanger mount and keep it to hang on the stone tile by fireplace Vintage 07 53 Coleman 200 Red and Nickel Lantern Green Rising Sun Globe VG | eBay

Last edited:
not bad considering a brand new CM powerhouse with carrying case is about half that, id prefer the looks of the yours and overall performance cant be much changed. BTW I'd hold off on doing any 'restoration' E.g. sandblasting etc might reduce the value (all too common 'laymans' error) it's baked enamel on top not paint. hehe

Last edited:
Thanks for adding your words. They are pretty neat looking i agree. And yes on the restoring, I knew to take care on something it seems its ok to do a little here and there on some things while it destroys value in other cases. I know some of it from having an interest in other collectibles like cars and bikes, and coke memorabilia and so.

I may actually head up to Perry Sound Ontario when friends are up this summer. I love the endless twisty roads on my crotch rocket thats enough to get me out to cottage country in itself, and it does. Those who have been to Parry sound and around Georgian bay will likely agree its some of the prettiest wildernesses Canada has to offer, just one of many one of many provinces has to offer. Were lucky to live in one of the most diverse and beautiful territories on the map, tropical climate with rainforest on one side and grizzlies, and iceburgs and a drastically different picturest environment on the opposite side and everything in between. I started gushing a little, what else can I say we have some nice digs over here.

Heres mine, yes it might be a little difficult to part with it grew on me a little all though I will have much more fun with the Audio Research preamp Ive had my eye on for quite some time now.

I didnt touch the nickel Im going to shop around for something that wont scratch it. The rust part, I was thinking it may be ok to re plate it and not harm value. I seen an original one on ebay for $4.99 that fits I might get someone back home to order while its still there. The ceramic paint on top Ill leave as is.

Attachments

• mycoleman.jpg
    mycoleman.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
although if I was setup in a lawn chair with a cold beer in front of a warm campfire and good company you probably wouldnt hear a complaint out of me.

Now that I will always go for. It's where I lay me down to sleep that means I like campfires close to home, or at least close to someone's home. If it's a 'tent', I hope it's made of something solid and either rides on the back of a truck or floats and has an engine and a steering wheel.

There will always be some Coleman gear somewhere. There always is. Kinda like marshmallows.

Now that I will always go for. It's where I lay me down to sleep that means I like campfires close to home, or at least close to someone's home. If it's a 'tent', I hope it's made of something solid and either rides on the back of a truck or floats and has an engine and a steering wheel.

There will always be some Coleman gear somewhere. There always is. Kinda like marshmallows.

Your a good man (and hell of a cook) Cal the stonewall would be on me :D

Attachments

• 20151230_154752.jpg
    20151230_154752.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 50
  • popopop.jpg
    popopop.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 42
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.