Do my speakers need to impedance match?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you want a highest quality speaker, you should consider constructing them yourself.
Ask here, if something is unclear.;)

I guess you are right - I wish I had to time to do that, but at this point, unfortunately, I don't. But you have to start somewhere and upgrading an existing speaker should be a learning experience and a small step in the right direction...

I guess you are right - I wish I had to time to do that, but at this point, unfortunately, I don't. But you have to start somewhere and upgrading an existing speaker should be a learning experience and a small step in the right direction...

I think modifying your existing setup is a very good start! I'm still not clear if this is a 4 ohm polycone bass, it looks like one from the filter. So please clear that up for me, if you want to mix with PROFESSIONALS here, rather than the peanut gallery. ;)

Polycone basses don't need much filtering to get near ideal 3kHz rolloff: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-8-woofers/scanspeak-classic-p21wo20-8-woofer-poly-cone/

You are doubtless right the EMIT-R planar magnetic tweeter had some special quality. So I think we should give it a decent steep circuit like the below on the tweeter. Your bass section needs no modification. The 3.9R is select on test for level adjustment. This is near Linkwitz-Riley phase aligned with a lean middle at crossover point making for low distortion.

In fact I use this circuit myself with various paper basses and the 92mm Monacor HT-22/8 cone tweeter which is also very musical sounding. In fact I can't bear to go back to dome tweeters these days.

Attachments

• Modified_MA-R300MD_HT22-8.jpg
    Modified_MA-R300MD_HT22-8.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 128
  • LR-type 8 inch bass filter.PNG
    LR-type 8 inch bass filter.PNG
    19.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 8 inch bass versatile circuit for 91dB tweeters..PNG
    8 inch bass versatile circuit for 91dB tweeters..PNG
    8.2 KB · Views: 123
This EMIT-R tweeter seems to be some sort of exotic ribbon type. Therefore DC testing would be dangerous and might damage it.

But that is not the issue for the poor treble sound of the RS-3000. It is the second order filter on the tweeter that needs correcting, as I said. A third order filter will increase treble energy above crossover. It will sound more lively. Simple as.

I have a set of these, all original, and am dying to know what the second part of this statement entails, ie, correcting the second order filter for more lively sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.