Do Bypass caps really work in crossovers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry for the confusion, that was $100 for a couple not the each price but it is still about $350- for the low 250 Hz XO in a pair of speakers if using Jantzen Cross caps.

Yes, I assumed as much; the UK price I mentioned was also for a pair. You guys are getting fleeced. Although I suspect we in the UK are going to know the feeling very soon...

The fact is the people in the Antipodes get fleeced on common components like coils and inductors. Even drive units. If England was not in the EU, we would be able to send esential supples. I'd take some delicious NZ Lamb in return. :D

Those Aussies pay about 3X more than they ought to. :eek:

What do we think about the Second Test at Lord's between Oz and England? Looks dead Drawn to me with a mere 3 hours to go:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/47324907

But there's three more Tests to go. I'm gonna enjoy this late summer.

Then we turn our attention to the "B" word. And after that, we could do some loudspeakering. :emoticon:

Typically, no matter how much the impedance of the main cap rises, the impedance of the so-called bypass capacitor is still way too large (in comparison) to make any significant difference.

Unless you're working with RF frequencies, you can't improve a cap by adding a bypass cap across it. In the audio realm, it's one of those things that sounds perfectly logical until you do the math.

would adding in a $5 bypass really [ I mean really] make that much difference?

..........and most of the old threads are now full of dead links as old gurus retire or die off

Hmm, FWIW I was taught to create capacitor and resistor 'banks'/'grids' using small, low tolerance components to get the desired values, which at least back then was 'dirt' cheap in comparison.

To me, a bypass cap is one you use to let through some portion of the highs in a CD horn EQ filter.

Do you ever search the links in the web archive? I've been pretty lucky overall.

GM

RE:'people in the Antipodes get fleeced on common components" - we get fleeced on anything imported...don't get me started on guitar strings or Whiskey.... & Paypal handily extracts the Govt GST (=VAT) without even asking....

Re"delicious NZ Lamb" - I'll be there next week, but meat prices in Aus are going though the roof because of drought....
hopefully my Bro will have bagged a nice deer, venison & abalone on the horizon....

Last edited:
IMO typical added *resistance always trumps cap's (..at least with respect to cap's that are NOT electrolytic, that I wouldn't know about..).

In fact on more than a few occasions I've heard no effect with a change in capacitors UNTIL a resistor part was changed.

*subjective (character) result of the resistor, not the actual resulting resistance and it's effect on spl (..which is very significant with even modest changes in spl).

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Then that might not be a damping resistor as such, maybe. I believe GM was (should we take a book on who guesses? :D) talking yesterday about an RC in series with the driver.

However at radio frequencies, sometimes a noise source is bypassed and needs a resistor somewhere to dissipate the energy.

Mostly I was remembering that AFAIK other than oil filled, caps 'ring', so ideally need a resistor in series and for CD horn EQ in parallel of the under damped LC = RLC network with a series resistor bypass cap to let through the extreme highs.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.