Do any of these measurements suggest an op amp I / V Stage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I am trialing a discrete op amp in my pre/dac, and have been advised they may become unstable in I/V conversion.

I don't really know much about op amps or their different applications.... yet!

I have measured dc voltage and wondered if any of the results suggest any of the three positions are I/V ?

Much appreciate any feedback,
Cheers
DC

Attachments

• Op Amp Voltage.pdf
    67.3 KB · Views: 96
Oh dear sorry, forgive me I am learning and as you may well guess don't have much of an idea as of yet.

Each of the boxes on the .pdf is an op amp, I have 3 locations with dip sockets that I can change over easily to the new discrete op amp. These locations are where I have measured the voltages marked on the .pdf.

The line between 4 and 8 is where I connected the multi meter across set to Vdc, and then connected it across 3 and 5 once again Vdc.

The pre/dac was on with the cdp connected and on, but no music was playing,
Power amps were not connected .

I hope this may help explain what I have done...
Even if we are none the wiser as to why I have measured those values....??

I am only just starting to realize that an op amp can have many applications, and when a new upgrade replacement is stated to be a direct replacement for a particular model of op amp - I assume that means I can replace it, swap it over - I am learning this may not be the case as the specific application may require a different design of op amp, and so it is therefore not a direct replacement..

If I am understanding things correctly, I/V conversion has a zero gain.. at which these particular replacements may well have trouble, and I don't really want to keep them in a place where they may have trouble..

Thanks for your replies!
Cheers
:)

Last edited:
Unfortunately, these measurements don't give any useful information. Stability is related to dynamic behavior of the circuit. So, in order to analyze that, you need a good function generator and an oscilloscope, as a minimum. Then you need to know what to measure, where and how. And then, how to interpret the results. Some people here can help, but not from the point of giving a short course of electronics engineering ;)
Also, schematic would be helpful.

Ah yes, I was thinking about that, these measurements may not be enough...

I was thinking if the gain is zero, for I/V, I have only measured the input voltages and supply voltages, so not exactly related to gain at all :-(

I am unsure how I would measure the gain, or even the output voltage, I only have a standard multi meter...

So for actual stability measurements I fall well short on equipment and know how, is there away to measure the gain, just to see if this may indicate zero gain, which may in turn indicate I/V stage?

Cheers
Much appreciate your replies so far :)

Afraid I have no schematic, I may well have a little look around for one as I would guess someone may even be able to tell from a schematic what is what...

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Are you of the opinion that an I/V stage has zero gain? Why would that be? What use is anything with zero gain?

Anyway, even with a multimeter you can measure gain. Take a small mains transformer, take the secondary and pad it down with two resistors to say 0.1V. That is your input signal. Now measure the output signal. Gain = Vout / Vin. Done

Jan

Last edited:
Ah well I read that somewhere about zero gain as it is just converting I to V ... ??
Not being used to amplify anything but convert.. ??

Okay, sorry getting a little out of my comfort zone with extra transformers.. and I don't have one.. (Beginner in electronics)

If I measured voltage across pins 7 & 5 and then 3 & 1, would that not give how much gain there was in Volts, and turning the volume knob would make a difference in that reading... or not, if I/V

Have been reading a little on op amps but they seem to be able to do so many different things!

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.