DJ Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am just starting in the DJ business, using 2nd hand equipment
HTML:
with not may gigs, yet. My current speakers are a couple of powered Peaveys running out of a Numark mixer. I put them on stands, usually. Being a little past my prime, those suckers are heavy, and I'm looking for good speakers, stand mountable, capable of good powerful sound, just a lighter. Most vendors don't list weight as a specification. Any suggestions appreciated.
"Fair Winds and Following Seas"

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I can't answer that. I don't know what you are doing.

If you are unsure about the size then measure the outside of the frame. If it is around 10 - 11" then that's a 10" woofer. If you are happy with that size then consider the composite type cabinets. Here is one from PartsExpress. Behringer 12" 2 way that comes in at 24 lbs. net. You have a powered mixer right, the Peavey speakers are not active are they?

Note: I will be away from the computer for the next 15 minutes.

Behringer B212XL Eurolive 12" 2-Way PA Speaker System 248-6476

No, he said he had powered PV speakers running from a Numark mixer. The Numark DJ mixers I am familiar with are not powered.

Powered speakers are real convenient, run a cord from the mixer to it and you are done. But that means the extra weight of the amplifier part is in the speaker. The alternative is regular passive speakers with a separate power amp. The speakers will weigh less, but you then have the added hassle of more to hook up. ANother alternative would be the passive speakers and replace the Numark with a powered mixer.

Many DJs use plain old commercial PA systems, but mixers made specifically for the DJ do have some special features. Up to you if you need that. DJ mixers have cue channels, but a PA mixer usually has AUX sends you could use for that or PFL buttons. DJ mixers have crossfaders, but it is not at all difficult to crossfade on a conventional mixer, just slide one channel up as the other slides down.

One way to save some weight is with speaker selection. Most speaker brands nowdays sell some "Neo" speakers. Speakers with a neodymium magnet instead of the common ceramic magnet. Neo magnets are a lot stronger than the ceramics, so are smaller for the same speaker action, and they weigh less. Usually. The Neo is usually featured prominently either in the model number or in the sales information, so it should be easy to spot the speakers using that technology.

I just serviced a Peavey powered subwoofer, and the amp chassis in that weighed VERY little. It used a switching power supply (or "SMPS") and the amplifiers themselves were digital. SO no heavy power transformers or huge filter caps. Digital amps or Class D amps tend to weigh a lot less. There are many brands and models of powered speaker with this newer technology. They weigh less than the older stuff.

I don't always see weight listed in the little descriptive blurb next to the picture, but seems to me most of them include it in the spec detail.

Visit a company like Sweetwater, they have a large selection as well as tutorial information and videos

Since this is DIY audio, I'm going suggest that you take your powered speakers apart and see how much the amp section weighs, and if it's possible to mount it in a spearate box/rack case. Also, I strongly advise the use of a subwoofer, most PA mains have very little bass, except for large cabinet 15's or 2x12's, etc. A small 15" sub will work wonders.

Does the sub replace the woofer? Do i mount the one of the amps in the box then configure it to power both speakers?

Kinda gotta spell it out for me, since I'm learning

Most basic PA speakers ("tops" or "mains") are 2-way, with a horn tweeter and normal woofer. The woofer, even 15's, handles much of the midrange usually well over 1000hz. These woofers are very sensitive, but typically have poor bass response. Once you go and put them up on stands and out into a room, it gets even worse. Subwoofers ("subs") are intended to be used in the bass frequencies below the range of the main speakers. Typically with an active crossover and amplifer, but having a sub on a passive crossover is possible.

In a nutshell: keeping "small" speakers (say 10"+horn) as you seem to have now, will keep their weight reasonable.
As suggested above, going for digital amps + NEO speakers + plastic cabinets (all of which scream "MODERN" speakers) will save you a ton of weight where it matters: over the mounting poles.
The subwoofer will be large and heavy, but it lives at floor level, and may be fitted with wheels.
So *total* system weight won't be low, but you won't have to lift the heavy component.
That's something.

Ok coming out of the Numark mixer, I have left and right outputs for the speakers.
1. If I add an amp, do I get a "Y" cable going into the amp out of the left & right ?
2. Do most of the amps have left & right outs?
3. Got any suggested manufacturers for the speakers, amps and subwoofer?

So it seems I need two new pole mounted speakers with neo-magnets an amplifier and a sub-woofer, right?

Ok coming out of the Numark mixer, I have left and right outputs for the speakers.
1. If I add an amp, do I get a "Y" cable going into the amp out of the left & right ?
2. Do most of the amps have left & right outs?
3. Got any suggested manufacturers for the speakers, amps and subwoofer?

There are several ways to plug a mixer into a pair of mains and a sub. Most larger mixers have a 2nd output pair on the same volume control, so you could use that. A splitter cable is an option and should work. In both cases, you would want to have at least a low pass crossover built into the subwoofer (or amp) to cut out the higher frequencies, and possibly a high pass on the mains.

Or if you were to use a separate crossover box, it would have both a high and low output.

Or, if you got a powered subwoofer, it may have a line level input and output, with a crossover built in:

JBL JRX118SP PA Subwoofer at zZounds

So it seems I need two new pole mounted speakers with neo-magnets an amplifier and a sub-woofer, right?

I agree with that.

I have a pair of cabs using eminence delta 12's, rated 400 wrms. Also using a selenium DT205TI with horns. There is a cup in the bottom.

The cab is sealed, .7 Q. I put two input jacks on this cab. One goes in full range, the other is into an additional 100 hz hipass. I'll use them alone for a smaller venue.

When I do a larger venue, I have a pair of 15 reflex cabs with a cup in the top that I put a pole into for the upper cabs. I connect a small cable from the 15 cab to the hipassed jack in the 12 inch cab.

I use an RMX 1450.

jn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.