DIYers stay the course - much better value building your own!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not all speaker enclosures are basic boxes - Lowther TP1, anyone?
If someone wants to build high quality speakers they will be very different from simple box with straight angles. Not everyone can fabricate curve shaped plywood for instance. Same can be said about sandwiched composite panels. Both are common when you want to play at the same level with $10K or above commercial speakers.

Only my opinion, but most hi-end speakers are marketing BS.
I'm sick of the sight of curvy cabinets with rows of drivers, pumping out boom tish boom tish.

They were a novelty and something genuinely different, when Sonus Faber first started piling hand sawn curvy hardwood slices on top of each other in the 1990s.

Now they are all at it and frankly it is getting boring.

Nobody, I was talking purely from an aesthetic point of view.
As an enthusiast who has to share the hi-fi with a partner and family, having no listening room, I think that aesthetics are the number one barrier to family acceptance of good sound in a shared living space.

Last edited:
Only my opinion, but most hi-end speakers are marketing BS.
I'm sick of the sight of curvy cabinets with rows of drivers, pumping out boom tish boom tish.

They were a novelty and something genuinely different, when Sonus Faber first started piling hand sawn curvy hardwood slices on top of each other in the 1990s.

Now they are all at it and frankly it is getting boring.

:D Well said, and I agree completely.

I really don't care for gratuitously over-designed speakers, or anything else for that matter. The sole purpose is to appear functional and scientific to the uninformed, and thus help justify the high price.

If someone wants to build high quality speakers they will be very different from simple box with straight angles. Not everyone can fabricate curve shaped plywood for instance. Same can be said about sandwiched composite panels. Both are common when you want to play at the same level with $10K or above commercial speakers.

Fair point, but even curved panels are not particularly difficult if the are only curved along one dimension. The B&W 8xx enclosures appear to be bendy ply glued to formers. That sort of construction does not require any special tooling. The models with teardrop mid enclosures would be a bit more difficult. They are most likely lathe turned, which would cost some money if you had them done in small quantities, i.e. a pair.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.