DIY Wedge Atmos Speaker

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Are you wanting to bounce a couple of channels off the ceiling?

I would hate to dissuade anyone from a DIY speaker project, but I did just watch this video this morning. Perhaps it will give you pause for thought.

Reactions: 1 users
Ideally, you want a speaker with fairly narrow directivity for Atmos overhead…..not a characteristic of coax drivers with small HF elements. Most commercial Atmos designs ignore the principle and opt for the generalized hifi approach.

If you want to build a great wedge for on ceiling mount, consider four 3-4” full range drivers in an x alignment with a centrally mounted tweeter crossed high. The effective combing will reduce directivity significantly. Keep the drivers recessed below the cabinet sides to create diffusion through diffraction………the overhead presentation of diffraction is much more convincing. If you can choose full rangers with a break up in the 8k range that allows for a rise in The overall response in that area, that would be better……8k in and around is our human ear/brain height cue frequency.

Reactions: 1 users
I would like to hear a well sorted ATMOS system but talking about "the elephant in the room" (wish that phrase would die a well deserved death); an ATMOS system would be an actual elephant in the room. I have a larger than usual room and I cannot imagine where one would put all of the stuff.

Reactions: 1 user