• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DIY Waveguide loudspeaker kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Markus wrote about the Nathans in his HT.
I finally looked at them and see they have the same driver as the Abbeys and Summas. And they are smaller which works better in my limited space.
Where do the Nathans xover at?.....1K, 1.5K? How are they on male voices, chesty or clean?
Do they go lower than 100hz?
Are there any reviews of the Nathans?
I don't expect perfection at Nathans price, just enjoyable non-boxy HT and music.

Could the Nathans be built with the Xover and board separate from the cabinet, so wires for from HF and LF come out the back? Less vibrations and blurriness for the Xover. Having done this on over 5 speakers it has worked well every time. Not night and day, just cleaner sound for almost no money.

Since space is a constraint for me could 2 or 3 subwoofers be next to each other (touching?) under the TV? Kind of a subwoofer speakerbar about a 1 or 2 feet from the back wall. Or would that turn them into a boom box?

Thanks

I'll let someone else give you the subjective speal. I don;t generally get into the subjecyive stuff. PM me if you want specific customers comments if noone chimes in here. There are twice as many Abbeys as there are Nathans so there are a lot more reviews and those are here Recommendations

If you build them yourself you can build them any way you like, but if you buy them assembled the crossovers are mounted inside. (or I could do it for you, but then your comment "for almost no money" would no longer be true.) The crossover in the Nathan is about 1 kHz.

The Nathan is down about 6 dB at about 80 Hz. It needs some subs. All speakers need some subs.

Clustering the subs would make them boomy. They need to be spead out.

Last edited:
Why do you say that? Most low Q pro drivers are intended to be ported.

I just finished some surrounds using the B&C 8CX21, which I believe is the same woofer, and get (according to Unibox and WinISD) -3dB@90 Hz in a ported 9 liter box tuned to 75 Hz.

I used a single 2" port, which at first looks to give too high a velocity, but is fine when the HP filter is added.

The driver is 8PS21 but in looking at it again I can get a reasonable response. It tends to roll off a little more than I'd like, but I'm probably being picky. I was using a box that was too big which resulted in a dip then a peak at tuning.

I'd love to see you prove that to me someday - you know, a linear system so that your not hearing the different odd order nonlinearities when you switch, and, of course, blind.

I could reliably detect it blind when I had an Adcom CD player that could reverse polarity by remote control.

That player is no longer working, but it is easy enough to hear it on test CDs that specifically have tracks with alternating polarity as a demonstration of the effect.

But my speakers have always had drivers in phase.

Last edited:
Markus wrote about the Nathans in his HT.
I finally looked at them and see they have the same driver as the Abbeys and Summas. And they are smaller which works better in my limited space.
Where do the Nathans xover at?.....1K, 1.5K? How are they on male voices, chesty or clean?
Do they go lower than 100hz?
Are there any reviews of the Nathans?
I don't expect perfection at Nathans price, just enjoyable non-boxy HT and music.

Could the Nathans be built with the Xover and board separate from the cabinet, so wires for from HF and LF come out the back? Less vibrations and blurriness for the Xover. Having done this on over 5 speakers it has worked well every time. Not night and day, just cleaner sound for almost no money.

Since space is a constraint for me could 2 or 3 subwoofers be next to each other (touching?) under the TV? Kind of a subwoofer speakerbar about a 1 or 2 feet from the back wall. Or would that turn them into a boom box?

Thanks

There is one mega review of the Nathan and it is mine from Audiocircle, linked here. The woofers used on the Summa, Abbey and Nathan are completely different, the tweeters are the same.

Building the outboard crossover is fine, but it cannot be done for 'almost no money.' As you said, there is some argument as there will be less component interaction, etc...lots of effort and I think the subjective improvement is left to the end user. I haven't seen one study yet to prove it to be noteworthy, but if the diyer is willing to shell out the effort and as long as one realizes the caveat that it is more complicated and you do need to be more careful about the wiring to avoid mishaps, hey, its your money. For him to build an extra back panel without a crossover mounted shouldn't be a problem so you can build the outboard crossover, just don't call him if it all goes to H_LL in a hand basket. There will be an extra cost from his side for the extra back panels. It is necessary to do it this way as Earl tests every single speaker that leaves his facility with the original crossover installed to make sure it is perfect. Once it gets to your place, you can do as you see fit. I realize I sound a bit stern but the caveats need to be fully explored as Earl's time is limited for any modifications to the original design.

Subs should distributed around the room, forget about clustering them then the advantages will be completely negated.

Best,
Anand.

The discussion about audibility of absolute polarity is rather old and I don't want to discuss it here. The link is just for others to get a more broad view on the topic.

Best, Markus

"Doc" Greiners paper is the classic because he showed, statistically, in blind tests, that absolute phase was audible. But his test was flawed. He did not control for nonlinearity in the system. Signal sources are not generally symmetric about the mean. This then will excite a non-symmetric nonlinearity differently depending on the phase. Thus it is the nonlinearity that is audible in this test and NOT the phase.

Short of that paper there are NO statistically significant results showing that absolute phase is audible. Its unproven. There are psychoacoustic reasons to believe that such a thing could be audible - the ear is not symmetric either.

But the VAST bulk of the reports on its audibility are so uncontrolled as to be meaningless.

I realize I sound a bit stern but the caveats need to be fully explored as Earl's time is limited for any modifications to the original design.

Best,
Anand.

Thanks Anand

Yes, people need to realize that "custom" gets expensive and any change falls into the "custom" category and gets billed at my hourly rate. It doesn't take long before the price increase is getting pretty big, so it better be a significantly audible change!

There is one mega review of the Nathan and it is mine from Audiocircle, linked here. The woofers used on the Summa, Abbey and Nathan are completely different, the tweeters are the same.

Building the outboard crossover is fine, but it cannot be done for 'almost no money.' As you said, there is some argument as there will be less component interaction, etc...lots of effort and I think the subjective improvement is left to the end user. I haven't seen one study yet to prove it to be noteworthy, but if the diyer is willing to shell out the effort and as long as one realizes the caveat that it is more complicated and you do need to be more careful about the wiring to avoid mishaps, hey, its your money. For him to build an extra back panel without a crossover mounted shouldn't be a problem so you can build the outboard crossover, just don't call him if it all goes to H_LL in a hand basket. There will be an extra cost from his side for the extra back panels. It is necessary to do it this way as Earl tests every single speaker that leaves his facility with the original crossover installed to make sure it is perfect. Once it gets to your place, you can do as you see fit. I realize I sound a bit stern but the caveats need to be fully explored as Earl's time is limited for any modifications to the original design.

Subs should distributed around the room, forget about clustering them then the advantages will be completely negated.

Best,
Anand.

If I put together the Nathans myself I'd leave the xover board (blank) inside the speaker where it's supposed to go (CLD). Mount the xover on some plywood I've got laying around, following the plans and using the parts supplied. At almost no extra cost. And I get to live my subjective fantasy! BWAHAHAHAHAAA!!

And no, I haven't done double blind testing of statistically relevant quantities of people and published the results in a peer reviewed journal. Like The Outboard Crossovers Review Journal. Maybe with the money I save building the Nathans!

Since space and money are constraints, would buying 2-3 cheap self powered subwoofers from Parts Express, or other places, work? Placed around the room. Not as good as Geddes subs, but as place holders.

Nice review of the Nathans.
Have you received your Abbeys yet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.