DIY Turntable

Tonite I had a look at the no-name cartridge in my $10 Technics turntable and held a small drill bit near it and couldn't feel a thing. A 1.5 thou feeler gauge only barely responded so there was a very weak external field with this cartridge. So it must vary from one type to the next. Or perhaps the magnets in mine have simply fizzed out. :)

GP.

Circlotron said:
Tonite I had a look at the no-name cartridge in my $10 Technics turntable and held a small drill bit near it and couldn't feel a thing. A 1.5 thou feeler gauge only barely responded so there was a very weak external field with this cartridge. So it must vary from one type to the next.

then you probably have a moving magnet cartridge, and not a moving coil cartridge. Moving coils have lot of magnetic energy outside.

regards,
Hartmut

Hartmut and all,

a drill bit put in the proximity of a Scheu-Benz or a Hul Grasshopper, a nightmare !! "click !!" ... "§%#+*%#§$§%$§% !!!! :mad: ....
see above, me was lucky once, but twice !? :) ... luck is if you spoil the cheap MC by such a stunt and let the expensive one survive ...

AuroraB and all,

concerning belt stickyness, well, i modified my point of view. My old trusty TT undergoes a modification, it gets a new plinth able to carry two linear tonearms or 12"ers if desired. And on this occasion i moved the motor (which is a maxon DC motor from now) from platter edge proximitiy to the utmost outer corner of the plinth. The old motor, a Pabst GS3809, consumed too much space for such.

So the motor changes from AC synchonous to DC ascynchronous with practically zero torque ripple and i do not need the pulley's speed variations to drown in belt slip anymore. The belt will be a magnetic tape (and slippery as such) but the angle of the belt wrapping around the pulley is much bigger. Belt slip will be history, i presume.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Dice,

Any news on this tape-belt ?
If you had slip for a while (metal-polyester) wouldn't it burn?
Have you tried non-waxed dental floss yet? No kidding,all the Japanese audiophiles have a healthy set of biters,you know.
:D
I guess you also require a decent tape-splicing device to work with?

Greetz,

Joined 2022
Paid Member
This is a great site! I've been enjoying DIY for close to 50 years, and a lot of my gear is DIY.
I checked machine shops every so often to gather as much stainless steel as I thought might help. Then I was lucky enough to find an electron microscope platform to use as the plinth. Next I found a Teres rim drive. Lastly I found a some some pieces to use as a possible platter. From there and with a machine shop close by, it was really easy! Over those 50 years , I have had a lot of turntables but nothing even close to this!
1663429833967.png

Attachments

• image005.png
    image005.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: 1 users