DIY Turntable Progress Pics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DIY turntable progress pics.

The MDF will eventually become what I used to make a mold. At that point, I will be using epoxy granite to make the base. For now, it'll be mass loaded MDF layers. The platter is currently 5" thick solid aluminum but I may be playing around with some mass loading options there, as well to get the weight out near the perimeter in some fashion. The platter is sitting next to my first DIY turntable that used rekokut K33H parts (platter, motor, bearing)

The platter mat is a 1" thick chunk of PVC.

cc5023c0.jpg

photo-67.jpg

I drew them up and sent a cad file off to a friend with a CNC router.

8 of them will end up in the base, the other two will probably be used as patterns to create more pieces that will hold the amplifier and frequency generator for the AC Sync motors, and an expansion tank for the pump system for the air bearing arm. I'm planning on making the tank and amp integrated into the stand.

I machined the aluminum platter. It's not really done yet but I cleaned off the nastiness from chunk of scrap aluminum that I started with.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Dave,

I like your new pressure cooker with the custom privet. Your wife is going to be one happy lady! Who knows, after a gift like that, she may even allow you to have a turntable in the living room!
:D

Seriously, it looks like it's coming along nicely.

Best Regards,
Terry

Last edited:
why bother?

Beautiful looking, but more efficient ways to maintain inertia...

Multiple motors can provide the same effect as Huge weight. Yes, 55# is impressive. But a 3 motor type would allow a plater of 18#, A 6 motor type would allow the platter mass reduced to 9#, or larger motors....In fact much could be said about the other extreme: extremely low mass platter driven by 3 or more huge AC induction motors...

Stew,

Dave was going to use what looked like a cast iron bell-end off a hydroelectric turbine generator from a dam for the base. He's really scaled it down quite a bit. I would imagine he feels that this is his portable turntable!

As always, very nice work!

Best Regards,
TerryO

Actually, the endbell was on edd9000's turntable. This MDF will become the basis to form a mold that will eventually be used to cast the base out of epoxy granite.

The platter will be closer to 65 lbs when complete and I've got the motor thing covered, as well. I have close to 60 Berger Lahr 20 pole AC Sync motors (from a thorens TD-520), initial plan is to have 4, but 8 will be used on a final version.

To answer the why bother question, I guess I don't have a good answer for you other than I found the chunk of aluminum at a scrap yard and paid less than what I would have for a 9 lb platter. To be honest, it's just a project, I have plenty of good turntables and this is far more work than any record would really deserve.

Last edited:
Actually, the endbell was on edd9000's turntable. This MDF will become the basis to form a mold that will eventually be used to cast the base out of epoxy granite.

The platter will be closer to 65 lbs when complete and I've got the motor thing covered, as well. I have close to 60 Berger Lahr 20 pole AC Sync motors (from a thorens TD-520), initial plan is to have 4, but 8 will be used on a final version.

To answer the why bother question, I guess I don't have a good answer for you other than I found the chunk of aluminum at a scrap yard and paid less than what I would have for a 9 lb platter. To be honest, it's just a project, I have plenty of good turntables and this is far more work than any record would really deserve.

Dave Newman doesn't post on diyAudio as often as I would like to see, but I've known Dave for many years, going way back to the old "Bass List".

I think that he could probably give anyone a run for the money when it comes to innovative thinking on diy projects. Some of his projects are real mind benders and display a substancial amount technical expertise.

However, in my expert opinion, his sole weakness lies in his hesitation to employ copious amounts of Bondo, which I have amply demonstrated time and time again to be a key factor in any totally successful project.
:D

In spite of this signal failure to incorporate the latest and most advanced Bondo Technology, I suspect that his Turntable will be a great success and will complement his other 42 turntables.

Best Regards,
TerryO

So, whats the reasoning behind the design and sonic goal? Galibier folks said they could never get the right sound of solid alu platter (Like Verdier does) What kind of bearing and drive are you going to use ? Would love to get a platter like that but last time I looked at the billet aluminum pricess I got dizzy;)

Woj, you ask the tough questions. The reasoning is "because that's what I found at the scrap yard", but basically, I wanted to try extremely high mass platter route as I have enjoyed turntables that have used that philosophy. Sonic goal is to have decent speed stability and not sound awful. I'm not a particularly big believer in vinyl as some sort of holy grail like medium, but I do have 1000+ records that get some play.

I've got a few options for the drive. I have Mark Kelly's DC motor controller/maxon motor/pulley, along with a bunch of AC sync motors. I will likely use multiples of the latter with an "ipod drive" variation. I might also make some sort of rim drive system so I can roll motors. AC Sync Belt Driven, AC Sync Rim Drive driven, DC motor string drive, and eventually, a friend of mine is looking into using a 3 phase maxon motor similar to Teres' recent motor setup.

I have a pair of decent sized ring magnets that have enough opposing force to lift a 72 lb platter at .125". I'll be playing with a fully vertically levitated design as well as using the magnets to just reduce the weight supported by the ball bearing. Because of the largish magnets, I decided to use an aluminum shaft coated in ceramic for the shaft. It's very smooth and more precise than I could find hardened steel. Since it likely won't be supporting any weight, i'm not concerned with the material being aluminum.

There is a nice scrap yard I can let you in on with varying degrees of large chunks of scrap.

My friend with the endbell bass was having some issues with ringing but a light platter mat damped them to being an inaudible artifact.

Dave, perfectly understood ;) As you know I have top Rega table but recently I had a chance to listen to acoustic solid table with heavy alu platter and I liked it quite a bit . Rega has advanced ceramic platter and sophisticated drive unit so speed stability is probably not an issue but the sound of mass turntable had some noble weight and peace which I really liked. I also have a Mark Kelly Dc contoller and Teres bearing ,PVC (Galibier clone ) platter and I'm deliberating on Base material. I got some gay looking acrylic base ;) also have 2.5" machining bronze rod to make a Kuzma Stog S like design. I see lot of mass TT's on market now ,they all shinny and exotic but there is little to no resoning behind any of those design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.