DIY studio monitors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Studio 101 vs Original ProAc Studio 100

Without a doubt I would build this..

ScanSpeak 18W/

It's somewhat similar to ProAc Studio 100, which is widely used as a studio monitor..
What would you say, is the real difference between this DIY clone and the original Studio 100, apart from the woofer? The Studio 100 is highly regarded for a number of reasons...

I'm looking for Studio 100's, but they are quite hard to come by in my neck of the woods. Building a pair myself would be the quickest, cheapest option, and fun to boot! As far as I know, the mid-bass drivers can be obtained directly from ProAc. The tweeters seem to be original scanspeak models.

And, does this DIY option require any bracing and dampening? It doesn't seem to be braced on the photo's/drawings.

Last edited:
The use of poor sounding speakers is just to check your mix on more regular or common gear as others will hear it. Another common thing to do this is to check your mix in the car--I think this is why all the compression used in many recordings. Most people I talk to who do home recordings try to get the highest fidelity monitor they can, then check their mixes on other stereos.

The evil-sounding Yamaha NS10M (the black ones with the white cones) was a good example of a speaker that was just lousy enough to be a good reality check. If your mix sounds good on those things, then it seems to sound good on just about anything. I didn't believe until I tried it. They aren't made anymore, though.

Take a look at as many pictures of recording studios as you can find. It's amazing how many of these little monsters are still in use.

yamaha ns10m - Google Search

But they do sound vile...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.