DIY speaker wall mounts for b3s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been looking for a sturdy cheap speaker wall mount for my B3S's I DIY and couldn't find any that I felt was worth the price they where selling their plastic for so I designed a set of my own. Mind you these are in the roughed out stage of development and require some serious grinding down and drilling of holes. I wanted to bounce these off of you guys for ideas.

I guess Ill have to widen out the wall base abit so it does not punch through the sheet rock. Im guessing this should hold up 6 lbs. I bent 1/8"x3/4"x3' flat iron bar. The bar costed me $3.50 at loews. If this works it should beat the hell out of what is being sold online.

Attachments

• diy speaker bkt full.jpg
    diy speaker bkt full.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 709
I managed to work on the bkt some this evening. It is very sturdy I think if I put this on some sort of base it will stable diagonal wiggle. Ive been thinking about a finish to put on this bkt. Im leaning to a hammer tone finish in the same color as the speakers. Ill take a ball peen hammer and put dimples all over the bracket. Then I will have to prime and paint. Anyone have any ideas?????? Comments???? Complaints????? Dont be shy.

Attachments

• back of spk bkt.jpg
    back of spk bkt.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 497
despotic931 Thanks for the encouragement. I messed around with the finish today by thumping out a test piece. I can see how metal working could be fun. I was abusing a couple pieces of metal just for the fun of it. I used a punch, chisel, piece of concrete, axe, a claw hammer and every one looked different. I ended up liking the plain ole ball peen hammer finish. take a look.
Notice how plain the metal looks comared to the mared finish.

Attachments

• finish compare.jpg
    finish compare.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 379
Here is a close up.

While walking around in loews I happened across a copper grounding rod and the wheels started turning. I bet I could get a nice ark out of that rod and the bracket attached to the speaker could float along the rod. Not to mention that copper can be varnished. Hummmmmm.

Attachments

• finish super close up.jpg
    finish super close up.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 345
Damn I typed this all up and diy site asked for a sign in and I lost it all.

Thanks despotic...........
You are right...........

I couldnt find anything reasonalbly priced that had the strength that I wanted so I was sort of forced to come up with something. This project opened a whole bunch of other ideas for material use. Ill prolly revisit this some time in the future to give a hand at fabricating some for ebay............ Make some money to build the sr-71 project. I really need a break from MDF for awhile.
Ive sort of become a diy maniac.
1.) 2- sub woofer enclosures
2.) 7- b3s speakers (5 nutmeg, 2 black)
3.) 4- wall mount speaker bkts
4.) 2- speaker stands
5.) Im in middle of a tv credenza stand
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=119892
6.) My next project is a small entertainment center made out of ash and stained with nut meg stain to match the b3s system.
7.) sub woofer to match the speaker stands havent really put much thought to this yet down the road to far.
8.) Dream project is the zaph zd5
http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZD5.html or
the sr71 http://www.zaphaudio.com/SR71.html to replace a pair of Bose 301's I have.

Attachments

• b3s speaker set.jpg
    b3s speaker set.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 185
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.