DIY Sony VFET lottery discussion

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I sure as hell hope not...

Given the scarcity of the amplifier, and the numbers of members who wished they could score one, the feedback from those who won, both on their build experience and how they work with the various speakers & systems they will be paired with, becomes more important to those who did not win.

And while the first versions of this amplifier wil be very special & rare, the real stars of the show will come in rounds 4, 5… as we see members playing with the basics in the same way we have seen people build on the ACA platform. This amplifier could be considered an ACA on steriods. It will continue to expand our experiences into the hifi world that would have happened if the hifi industry had not turned left when the SS device first appeared (to roughly paraphrase Nelson).

dave

I'm puzzled by the posts I've read bemoaning the price of this amp. I just want to remind diyers of 2 things.

First, that any profit from this venture is going to two extremely worthy causes.

Second, as Nelson stated in his paper, Leaving Class A - 2019 redux - biased opinion from Nelson Pass "...regular Class A amplifiers tend to weigh about a pound per watt, and they tend to cost about $100 per watt (or more)." So this shows what a great value the lucky winners are getting!

:)

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
:cuss::cuss:So much guys starving ... is it here the "lot of rice"thread ?
I profit the thread started a first april to say D'Agostino is launcing his ten bucks per watt lottery for all new Stereophile member.

...oups...ZM is knocking at the door...:bomb:

Last edited:
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I have hard-pruned 58 posts which were messing with this thread's "chi" :)

In regards to what is the right thing to do with these amps once you no longer have a use for them, "consult your soul". I'm sure it will give you the right answer. They should be used and enjoyed and not packed away in an attic, after all.

Thanks.

Count of members with N tickets (before the lottery / after the lottery):

• 400+: (2 / 0)
  • 100 ~ 399: (20 / 4)
  • 10 ~ 99: (193 / 141)
  • 2 ~ 10: (382 / 369)
  • 1: (831 / 826)

First, congratulations to all the winners!

Second... Woah! Cool stats. Thanks for including the process and the results with such detail.

If I'm interpreting this correctly...

100.0% of participants who had 400+ tickets (!!!) won.
80.0% of participants who had 100+ (but less than 400) tickets won.
26.9% of participants who had 10+ (but less than 100) tickets won.
3.4% of participants who had 2+ (but less than 10) tickets won.
0.6% of participants who had only 1 ticket won.

First, congratulations to all the winners!

Second... Woah! Cool stats. Thanks for including the process and the results with such detail.

If I'm interpreting this correctly...

100.0% of participants who had 400+ tickets (!!!) won.
80.0% of participants who had 100+ (but less than 400) tickets won.
26.9% of participants who had 10+ (but less than 100) tickets won.
3.4% of participants who had 2+ (but less than 10) tickets won.
0.6% of participants who had only 1 ticket won.
Yes, that is exactly what those numbers mean.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
We have not yet heard back from the following. Please check your email addresses and reply to the helpdesk email that was sent to you. If you do not have it, or your diyAudio email address is wrong, etc, etc, please contact the helpdesk at contact@diyaudiostore.com.

Blues
spades
Manolo47
alazira
abadsantos 7
studeb
slimecity
biju55
Soundhappy
Eslheadphone
wdecho
MEPER