DIY Ribbon Headphones

Try it, in my prototype the foil works exactly with the capacitor that I indicated and only one of its gaskets. There is no guarantee that any other foil will work.
I disassembled a film capacitor 470000pf 400V (orange in color) and now i have two long strips of aluminium covers with dielectric material. My question is how can i use it in order to make a ribbon diaphragm? Please note that i made ribbon headphones with aluminium foil for food wrapping with good sound.

any KBG-MN capacitor has a suitable foil for tape drivers.
zinc foil is not suitable for tape drivers
1637223773_w640_h640_kondensator-kbg-mn.png

Last edited:
‎Ευχαριστώ, παρήγγειλα ένα κομμάτι από τη Ρουμανία. Εν τω μεταξύ, θα ελαχιστοποιήσω το πάχος του αλουμινόχαρτου για τα τρόφιμα με υδροχλωρικό οξύ. Θα δω τα αποτελέσματα.‎

Hello. Clamp the capacitor easily in a vise and carefully cut the case with a hacksaw for metal from the terminal side at the junction of the cover and box. Try not to immerse the hacksaw blade deep, only for cutting metal (case thickness is less than 1 millimeter).

View attachment 1035935
Hello, I received the Russian capacitor from Romania, I opened it with electric saw, cleaned (very high amount of oil) and cut the two pieces with width 20mm in order to make a ribbon 20 X 60mm on a 3d printed base. The result is amazing, better than aluminium foil with reduced thickness with Hydrochloric acid. Tomorrow i will send you a video with my final ribbon headphones.

Reactions: 1 user
View attachment 1035935
Hello again,
After constraction of my ribbon headphones which look as in my photo shown in my other reply, i checked the frequency response with a program in my mobile phone. So i produced signal 20 - 20000Hz and measured it. Of course the result is approximate because the measurement device is a simple mobile phone. It is significant that it has a low in 6KHz which appears in all my constructions and i must study the cause. I think if the problem can overcome by combining two membranes, one as now with width 20mm and a second with lower width 5mm for high frequencies. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• ribbon.jpg
    ribbon.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 152
Hello again,
After constraction of my ribbon headphones which look as in my photo shown in my other reply, i checked the frequency response with a program in my mobile phone. So i produced signal 20 - 20000Hz and measured it. Of course the result is approximate because the measurement device is a simple mobile phone. It is significant that it has a low in 6KHz which appears in all my constructions and i must study the cause. I think if the problem can overcome by combining two membranes, one as now with width 20mm and a second with lower width 5mm for high frequencies. What are your thoughts?
Hello again, I discovered the cause of the problem. I put on the vent of each headphone a glass fiber piece in order to prevent the outcoming air whch is possible to destroy the membrane. After removal the aproximate frequency responce is as follows:

Attachments

• ribbon1.jpg
    ribbon1.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 127